Campaign Series: Vietnam * Battle of Landing Zone Albany as NVA * 11/17/1965

Started by Crossroads, January 09, 2022, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

NVA Turn #10 - Two turns to go after this one!

Watching replay, no airstrikes come this turn, they must have been out of airpoints. Artillery in full force, though, lots of direct fire, Hogs hovering above us too.

Eight Strength Points gone again, a mad 13 Disruptions - John is doing a stellar job trying to suppress my men - but with the new Morale 9 my men shake it off. Otherwise I would have beem stopped right there on my tracks.

"2 units low on ammo" is my mortar park. What are they smoking there! I need you guys!

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Let us hit that ridge top again, that would be a blow to them.

Suppressing fire at them again, hopefully morale and Disruption hits at least. Assault!

No. Man, the US 1st Air Cav are no push overs.

So, like two tired boxes, that's all I can do now, apart from firing at each of his units on my behalf, to keep them Disrupted and from counter-attacking

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

End of NVA Turn #10

That was the action, so let us just look at the stats again.

Five US Strength Points ticked off, the kill ratio is definitively turning against me. With their airpower and artillery, they are gaining an upper hand now.

I think I might break from contact come next turn, after all the shenanigans here, Draw is not a bad result.

Crossroads

NVA Turn #11

Another replay, another 10 Strength Points gone the PAVN will not be seeing again  :buck2:

I did observe one of their Artillery fire missions landing on top of a US hex thought. Blue on blue does happen to them too, then.

Looking at stats, no casualties with them. Just a Retreat. They got lucky.

Their Objective points are ticking down with my men sitting on top of the Objective though. So there is a per-turn award for my side as well for holding the LZ objective  O0

What else? My artillery park is back, just in time for the final turn, if I plot them now. And plot I shall.

Crossroads

So, what damage is there to be done come this turn?

That isolated US position at their western edge looks sooo tempting. I don't have that much strength left, with Disrupted units unable to participate in the Assault. I have the Disrupted ones do the suppressing fire, then: Assault!

No. I take one step loss to add an injury to insult.

Crossroads

Decision time. To break from the battle, or to stay  ???

While there are many stacks of friendlies there, they have taken a beating. Depleted units all around.

That ridge top looks even more isolated now though. Should I stay or should I go... With apologies to the Clash!

Battle on  :knuppel2:

Move in - put in some suppressing fire - assault! Seems there was just the Recon section there, it had no chance. Ridgetop secured  :clap:

Crossroads

End of NVA Turn #11

Quote from: Crossroads on February 08, 2022, 06:56:12 AM

Battle on  :knuppel2:

With Disrupted units highlighted again, it sure does look like the 7th Cav will counter attack for a recapture of the objective. I moved my units back a bit for - maybe - a final counter counter attack of my own...

After some consideration, I decide against plotting all my artillery against the Objective though. Maybe, just maybe, I can hold on. The eternal optimist  :dreamer:

Crossroads

NVA Turn #12 - The Final Push!

Watching the reply, the good news first - LZ Albany holds! It is a long walk home for the 7th Cav.

That said, artillery, Huey Hogs, Direct Fire - lots of it - what a storm of steel again  :buck2:

But, crucially, it could have been way worse. Also, the final NVA push becomes with everyone having recovered from Disruptions.

One. More. Time.  :knuppel2:

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on February 08, 2022, 07:01:57 AM

One. More. Time.  :knuppel2:

So, it was them who broke out, but not everyone. Why would they leave such an isolated position out there alone?

No preparing fire available, instead, one all in assault, from two hex sides, with all the muscle I can still muster. Which is not that much. Here we go then...

Who are we!? The PAVN!
What do we do!? Assault!

And dang, there they fall. A long walk north to those capture troopers, six Strength Points worth of them, A full Platoon, in other words. Ouch.

Crossroads

Since I do enjoy the last mover advance, let us bound them all the way back to their base then  :knuppel2:

Move in... Charge!

No. Casualties for both sides, this was a close one as well.

And so it ends. A Draw it is. I can certainly live with this, given I did lose some precious time with my dithering in the first quarter of the battle.

It was nice to see there was enough time to recover from that, even if for a Draw.  :)

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on February 08, 2022, 07:08:30 AM

And so it ends. A Draw it is. I can certainly live with this, given I did lose some precious time with my dithering in the first quarter of the battle.

It was nice to see there was enough time to recover from that

... but for a final twist! As I end my turn to send the final results to Big Ivan for review, a final Event kicks in. As I have not seen this Event Dialog before, it must have taken place in this final turn. 200 EPs for the People's Army of North Vietnam!

While the US can claim a tactical victory with their kill ratio, it turns out their own casualties were too much for the home front to appeciate  :wow:

A Minor Win for NVA, then, at the final click of the battle.  :clap:

Crossroads