Historicon 2014

Started by bbmike, June 18, 2014, 07:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

After reading through the Origins 2014 thread I decided to check out the 2014 Convention Calendar and noticed that Historicon 2014 is almost upon us. It's July 17-20, 2014 and is in Fredericksburg, VA.
So...who's going? I'm really close to Fredericksburg so I just might wander down there.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

I cannot, but there are others in the DC area, and if you go, take lots of pictures to share!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

I registered today. Not 100% sure I'll make it but I hope to.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Cyrano

I am there Wednesday through Sunday.

Brant, I am afraid you are weak...

Very, very weak...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Capn Darwin

Maybe next year for me. Origins was all we could afford this year.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Cyrano on July 01, 2014, 05:10:13 PMBrant, I am afraid you are weak...

this
Quote from: Capn Darwin on July 01, 2014, 06:37:43 PMMaybe next year for me. Origins was all we could afford this year.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

ArizonaTank

I'll be there...  Let me know if somebody wants to raise a glass together...or can....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bayonetbrant

So right now the Historicon roll call is

bbmike
Cyrano
ArizonaTank

anyone else?

Cyrano

Well hellfire and damnation...

I checked back and thought no one else from the crew here would be there.

Now I have a regret...I should have liked to have seen some of you lot.

Well, just starting to recover from the whole business.  My video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O0DMWZDFmg

Highlights for me:

1.  Glenn Drover's Leipzig game.  His C&C hybrid is brilliant for conventions.  We played Leipzig with hundreds of 25mm figures and wrapped in under 4 hours -- take that GdB.

2.  The "Starship Troopers: Operation Royalty" game run in the HAWKs room on Saturday night.  The fact that my teammates were a really nice pair of fellows -- and that I was drinking -- may have helped, but it was a terrific time.

3.  The WWII Kriegsspiel I was asked at the last moment to help umpire.  It reminded me why KS really is the best way to wargame competitively.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bbmike

I never made it down. I actually ended up having to go to work on Thursday, the only day I could have made it.  :(
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak