Six Days in October - General Ruchel's personal diary

Started by Barthheart, October 07, 2016, 07:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

The campaign is afoot!

The Corsican has dared to threaten the realm of Prussia and her allies! This little monster must be stopped.

Here follows the personal account of General Ruchel during this most august campaign. Please read at your pleasure but do not disclose any information herein to the enemy.
It is most unsporting.

All other must depart now!

Barthheart

Oct. 10, 1806

The French are once again on the move under the command of that little upstart Napoleon. With my troops currently position on the frontier at Eisenach we await our orders for the coming campaign.

The men are anxious and are of good spirits. Let us hope that their commanders are up to the task ahead.

Barthheart

Oct. 10, 1806

I have received my marching orders after much discussion with our good commander the Duke of Brunswick.

We are to leave our western most outpost and march towards the other concentrations of the Prussian Army to better meet the French aggression.

As such, I have ordered my divisions to march as indicated. This small maneuver will take a couple of days but will provide vital information if the French decide to attempt to cross into our territory through the forbidding terrain of the Forest de Thuringe.

I have ordered a staggered start to the march so as to not bunch up and cause undo entanglement of the divisions.
The Advanced Guard is to leave first as they have the furthest to travel.
Then Weimar, then Saxe.

We'll setup the main camp at Gotha and the AG will setup near Ohrdruf. Their cavalry will scout to the south looking for signs of the enemy approaching.

Cyrano

If there is a price we umpires exact for our labors, it is giggling as we see the totality of the field.

;D ;D ;D

Thanks for this!

Jim

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

Oct. 11, 1806

We have arrived at Gotha and have set about establishing camp. Saxe Division will camp on the east side of town and patrol the road heading towards Erfurt, while Weimar Division shall establish a camp south of Gotha and patrol the road south.
The Advanced Guard has been sent ahead to Ohrdruf to establish a forward camp and shall look further south for signs of the enemy.

We await further orders from the Duke of Brunswick as to our further deployment.

Barthheart

Oct. 11, 1806

1000 hrs.

I have received word that the Advanced Guard has reached Ohrdruf without incident.

1300 hrs.

Possible enemy cavalry spotted south of Ohrdruf. I've ordered the Advanced Guard to delay enemy there.
Weirmar division ordered to march south to reinforce AG. Hopefully Weimar can reach Ohrdruf in time to relieve AG...

Barthheart

Oct. 11, 1806

1400 hrs.

Where the hell is that rider? What's going on in Ohrdruf??
I'd give my right hand for a device that could transmit my voice across tens of kilometers instantaneously....  :tickedoff:

Barthheart

Oct. 11, 1806

1700 hrs.

Ok reports that Weimar has reached Ohrdruf without incident.
Piquets still report seeing enemy cavalry in the distance but no move has been made to engage.

Tomorrow I shall order AG's cavalry to advance to contact to determine what the composition of the enemy is... maybe draw them into battle with our set forces....

Barthheart

Oct. 11, 1806

2300 hrs.

Received a dispatch rider from our commander Brunswick very late in the evening. Seems the rider left Brunswick camp sometime around 1400 hrs... ah the speed of modern communications!
Seems we are to retreat... err.. maybe form up to the rear is a better turn of phrase, to catch the French in more open ground.. by surprise...?
So I guess I am not going to draw the enemy into combat as early as hoped.

I will be ordering a sideways advance to Erfurt in attempt to "close that gap between our forces"... Brunswicks troops are in (were) in Naumbourg...
This is all with an eye to further "advance" back towards, ultimately, Eisleben... Perhaps we are to fight at the gates of Magdebourg in front of a home town crowd....

It is late and I have written enough insubordination for one evening. Tomorrow is a long day of marching.

Barthheart

Oct. 12, 1806

0500 hrs.

Gah! What a ghastly hour at which to start the day.

Orders are sent out to Weimar Division to set out immediately from Ohrdruf to Gotha and then on to a fork in the road, that leads south to Arnstadt. This will cover both roads.
My Advance Group is ordered to leave Ohrdruf around noon so as to not become entangled with Weimar's march. They are to march to Gotha and see if the enemy follows.

I, in the mean time, with Saxe Division will march to Erfurt. This is to be our hub for the march north... if that plan remains intact.

Let us hope the day holds no surprises....

Barthheart

Oct. 12 1806

1230 hrs.

An exhausted rider arrived at our marching column bearing a hastily scrawled note from the Advance Guard. At 0900 they had broken camp in some haste as they sighted enemy movements to the north and west in the direction of Gotha! As ordered they have not engaged and are beating a swift retreat to Gotha.

Hope they make it and don't get too enmeshed with Weimar's march north.

Barthheart

Oct. 12, 1806

1430 hrs.

Received a rider from Weimar Division stating they have reached the fork in good order and are setting up camp. No sightings of the enemy.
No word on the Advance Guard's location or disposition.... worrisome...

Barthheart

Oct. 12, 1806

1500 hrs.

We have reached Erfurt and found it already occupied by our fine colleague General Blucher!  Hail and well met!
The two of us have set about trying to determine our next course of action.

Another rider from AG has also found us and brings news that they are currently at Gotha without incident, as of 1300. I have order the rider to return immediately and tell AG command to travel to where Weimar is encamped. Hopefully that will be by days end and the enemy will stop in Gotha for the evening.

Barthheart

Oct. 12, 1806

2100 hrs.

Final dispatch riders are in and our troops are all safe this night. AG division has made it to Weimar's camp. This is good news. They also report that French cavalry are riding through Gotha! That might be bad news.
Also heard from our Command Brunswick. My command is to march north from Erfurt, after we are all here.

To sleep, perchance to dream.... that's as far as I'd like to take that quote... for this night anyway...

Barthheart

Oct. 13, 1806

0600 hrs.

Next war, we must all agree not to begins things before 1000 hrs... earliest!

My command's disposition is shown below along with our current orders from above.
So orders have gone out for all to make haste and march to Erfurt without delay.... except AG division's cavalry. They are to stay behind and harass and delay the French coming from Gotha. Maybe they can get lucky and ascertain the colours of the unit and or command of the French close on our heels. That would certainly be welcome information farther upon the command chain.

And so now I sit... and wait... for news from the west....