After Action Reports > Digital Gaming AARs

C:MANO AAR: Bay of Bengal 1999

(1/11) > >>

IICptMillerII:
Bay of Bengal 1999
Introduction and BriefingThis is a fictional scenario from Fleet Command, ported to Command: Modern Air Naval Operations that follows a CVBG (Carrier Battle Group) as it attempts to interdict the Indian navy.

Two things to point out first; (1) this is not a 1:1 copy of the mission from Fleet Command to Command: Modern Air Naval Operations (CMANO from here on) as there are differences in the force compositions for both the US Navy and Indian navy, and (2) the CMANO scenario has been modified by me. More on this later.

Here is the briefing that comes with the scenario in CMANO:
CMANO Briefing:Intelligence Message.The Indian CVBG is operating in the Gulf of Mannar (about 35 NM Northwest of Colombo). Russia has deployed TU-22M Backfire aircraft to India. China has delivered a squadron of B-6 Badger aircraft to India. Indian Submarine activity in
the region is significant. U. S. Embassy in Sri Lanka is urging all Americans to leave the country.  All Indian Naval forces are considered hostile.
India has mobilized amphibious assault forces and has deployed INS Viraat in the Gulf of Mannar.  Your forces are to transit to Southwest coast of Sri Lanka to pressure India to withdraw forces.  Sri Lanka fears Indian military buildup in preparation to final invasion force and collapse of the government. The United Nations has requested that a U.S. CVBG be sent to the area to stabilize the region.

Tasking Message.Transit to within 35 NM Southwest of the Sri Lanka coast.  Repulse Indian Naval forces which attempt to prevent U.S. CVBG forces from completing this mission.  U.S. Ambassador may be extracted from Embassy in Sri Lanka if situation worsens.[/center]

An important addendum to the briefing; the Indian navy begins the scenario hostile to US forces, so there will be shooting right from the get go.

Situation and Forces
I am in command of Task Force Nimitz, a CVBG based around the USS Nimitz, a CVN. The Task Force is composed of:
  •   CVN 68 Nimitz
      o   VF-211 “Fighting Checkmates” (x12 F-14D)
      o   VFA-146 “Blue Diamonds” (x12 F/A-18C)
      o   VFA-147 “Argonauts” (x12 F/A-18C)
      o   VMFA-314 “Black Knights” (x12 F/A-18C)
      o   VAW-122 “Steeljaws” (x4 E-2C)
      o   VS-33 “Screwbirds”  (x8  S-3B)
      o   VAQ-138 “Yellow Jackets” (x6  EA-6B)
      o   VQ-5 Det. 9 “Sea Shadows”  (x8  ES-3A)
      o   HS-8 “Eight Ballers”  (x2 HH-60H x6 SH-60B)
  •   CG 57 Lake Champlain
      o   (x2 SH-60B)
  •   CG 73 Port Royal
      o   (x2 SH-60B)
  •   DDG 65 Benfold
      o   (x2 SH-60B)
  •   DD 965 Kinkaid
  •   FFG 54 Ford
      o   (x2 SH-60B)
  •   AOE 1 Sacramento
      o   (x2 CH-46)
  •   SSN 717 Olympia

All told I have 92 aircraft and an immense amount of firepower spread between my surface units, sub-surface unit and air wing. However I am not invincible. Most of my anti-surface warfare (ASuW) capability lies with my air wing. Strike aircraft armed with anti-ship missiles have a turnaround time of 6 hours. If I’m not careful, I could get caught with all of my strike aircraft re-arming while my ships are left to defend against a determined surface attack against me.

Arrayed against me is the Indian navy and air force. Based on the briefing, I’m up against the carrier Viraat and an amphibious assault force. I also know that the Indian air force will be operating land based TU-22M “Backfire” bombers and B-6 “Badger” bombers. In addition to that, Indian submarine activity is said to be “significant.” There will be plenty going on, and all components of my Task Force (AAW, ASW, ASuW) will have their hands full.

In order to deal with the threat the combined Indian forces pose while still accomplishing my objective, I will need to maintain a constant combat air patrol (CAP), have more aerial warfare (AAW) on standby, and seek out the enemy fleet. All while in transit to the coast of Sri Lanka.

All that said, the plan is simple: Move towards the Sri Lankan coast. If I am able to keep an active CAP, and identify any threats to my CVBG and keep them beyond standoff range, I should be in good shape. However, this is easier said than done.

Final Notes
The base scenario gives you a CVBG that is a bit neutered. The Nimitz only gets half of its air wing, and less surface ships in support. To make the scenario more realistic and fun, I have rebuild Task Force Nimitz based on its September 1, 1997 – March 2, 1998 deployment. (Source for this below) I have not modified the Indian forces at all, nor have I opened them up in the editor.

Sources:
•   https://www.navysite.de/cvn/cvn68deploy.htm
•   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_air_wing#1991_Gulf_War_and_Post-Cold_War_(1992%E2%80%932000)

IICptMillerII:
Apologies for some of the formatting. It is my first post after all! Been a long time lurker, specifically of the AAR section of the forum. Very much enjoyed the Tom Clancy-esque AARs for CMANO done by Airborne Rifles. I don't have quite the writers touch that he does, so I'm hoping screenshots add to the fun.

More to come!

mirth:
Nice!  O0

IICptMillerII:
The Battle Begins
First things first, I need to establish my carrier CAP, get ASW helo’s out and listening, and my AEW (Airborne Early Warning and control) aircraft in the air.

Four aircraft are pumped into the air, quickly followed by another 3 only a minute later.

My CAP and AEW aircraft quickly establish themselves. The Tomcats mission loadout has been set to “Heavy BARCAP,” as I anticipate any aerial attack against my Task Force will be large. This gives each Tomcat x4 Phoenix missiles, for a total of eight per flight. Each Tomcat is also equipped with the AN/AAQ-25 LANTIRN Pod, which is a targeting pod that can use FLIR to track aerial targets out to 100nm. It should give the Tomcats an additional edge in acquiring and engaging targets at long range.

I’ve decided to turn the radars of the Tomcats on. I figure that between the Tomcats and the Hawkeye’s radars, I should be able to spot anything coming towards me at a comfortable standoff range. That will give me plenty of time to scramble more aircraft to intercept any incoming bogeys. My ships however will keep their radars off for now. While it’s only a matter of time until the Indians get a fix on my ships, I don’t have to give them any help.

Meanwhile, I’ve set the Olympia to “sprint and drift.” This is a tactic commonly used by submarines that are transiting large distances. They cruise at speed for a while, then slow down to a creep to listen passively with their sonar systems. If nothing is heard, they speed back up and repeat until they arrive on station or pick up something to investigate.

Contact!
After 5 hours, we have our first contact. It has been designated SKUNK #4 by the E-2C. This means it’s a surface contact, a ship. It’s over 200nm away, but it appears to be on an intercept course with the Task Force.

For now I’m content with monitoring the contact from a distance. Given more time, my ELINT (electronic intelligence) sensors spread across various platforms should be able to classify the contact. If it does end up being hostile, a single ship hardly poses a threat to the Task Force, and should be easy to deal with. The question is, is it alone?

More to come!

undercovergeek:
<< enter popcorn smiley here >>

good stuff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version