Main Menu

PC Cooling Basics

Started by Jarhead0331, December 15, 2021, 10:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

So far my new i9-12900k rig is really fucking awesome. It's got a 3080TI and 64GB Ram. It's extremely quiet, even under load, and I have just really been impressed all around so far.  But I'm concerned that the rig does not have enough cooling inside to keep temperatures down and that part of the reason it is so quiet is because there are not enough fans in the case.

Its got a Deepcool Castle 240EX ARGB AIO liquid cooling system for the CPU. This has two fans for the radiator. The GPU also has three fans on it and then there appears to be a a single 120mm case fan. This is really what has me concerned. In most other builds, I see fans everywhere. In the front, back, bottom, top, etc. The airflow through the case is fantastic and it usually is blowing cool. It got a little warm over night while my VR headset was on, but nothing out of normal range. I have no indication that it is ever too hot inside the rig, but should there be more fans in there. Obviously, the build passed QC at CyberPower, but not sure how rigorous they are.

Thoughts?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

The way I learned liquid cooling for PCs is to mount the radiator outside the case.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on December 15, 2021, 11:40:06 AM
The way I learned liquid cooling for PCs is to mount the radiator outside the case.

That is a first. I have never heard that or seen that in practice.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 15, 2021, 12:26:56 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on December 15, 2021, 11:40:06 AM

That is a first. I have never heard that or seen that in practice.

I'll take a pic later.

I actually wanted to go as far as mounting the radiator outside the house :)

Philippe

I keep a one foot tower fan about two inches away from the back of my hard drive and aimed at the air vents.  I've been doing this since the summer when my computer shut down because of over-heating.  My apartment isn't air conditioned and it seems to be working, though that may be due to the cooler weather.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.