Looking for a book (or two or three) on the Mexican-American War

Started by JasonPratt, July 30, 2019, 07:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Note: also posting in the books subcategory.

My brother's birthday is coming up at the end of August; and while reading Churchill's volume on "The Great Democracies" (part of his history of English-speaking people, written before and during WW2), concerning the 1800s, he discovered the Mexican-American war and wanted to read more about it. Especially its connections to eventual American Civil War leaders.

I don't think I have anything on it myself -- I roughly knew about it already (including its ACW connections) -- so I'm shopping around for recommendations.

So far I'm looking at:

Eisenhower's So Far From God

Guardino's The Dead March

Baur's The Mexican War

Tucker's Encyclopedia of the Mexican-American War (this is an expensive 3 volume library set, actually more expensive on Kindle for some reason, even when it's on sale!  :o Probably not what he's after anyway, as he wants more focus on the characters and strategic/operational/tactical aspects.)

Hannings' US-Mexican War: A Complete Chronology

Henderson's Glorious Defeat: Mexico and its War with the United States (focuses more on Mexico's side for balance purposes)

and

Dugard's Training Ground: Grant, Lee, Sherman, and Davis in the Mexican-American War
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

besilarius

If he really wants to know more about the personalities, US Grant's autobiography has some really good estimations of the people he served with.  And he does cover his own experience in the war with Mexico.
I think there is a free read on Google Books.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

SirAndrewD

Ug...I studied under Tim Henderson.   Used to hang out at his place when he was dating his later wife.  He was my Phi Alpha Theta sponsor.

I'd pull some strings and get you a copy but....yeah...don't talk to that guy anymore.

Seriously one of the reasons I didn't go into academia.  Oh University politics and cliques.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jamesharp2233

I would really like to find a site with books related to wars.
I have been working for an IT company for over 7 years. I am a front end developer and I love what I do. I also try to travel when I have time.