After Action Reports > Tabletop AARs

Hostile 01: 8:55 am, August 12, 1940

(1/3) > >>

MengJiao:

Historically, Fighter Command was very wary of this raid.  It looked like fighters by speed, but it was a little low and on a very odd course.  It was plotted as "X" -- unknown.  It was Eprobungsgruppe 210 -- twenty Me 110s
set to bomb 4 Chain Home radar sites.  Chain Home Low at Dover has just detected them and with that added plot and ahistorically (due in part to a "Sector Scramble") two
Spitfire Squadrons are in the air hunting for them.
Curiously, as far as I can tell, the Luftwaffe never bombed Chain Home Low radars.  They seem to have been less conspicuous than the Chain Home stations.
The game is The Burning Blue :

MengJiao:

--- Quote from: MengJiao on August 22, 2022, 02:42:12 PM ---
  Historically, Fighter Command was very wary of this raid.  It looked like fighters by speed, but it was a little low and on a very odd course.  It was plotted as "X" -- unknown.  It was Eprobungsgruppe 210 -- twenty Me 110s
set to bomb 4 Chain Home radar sites.  Chain Home Low at Dover has just detected them and with that added plot and ahistorically (due in part to a "Sector Scramble") two
Spitfire Squadrons are in the air hunting for them.
Curiously, as far as I can tell, the Luftwaffe never bombed Chain Home Low radars.  They seem to have been less conspicuous than the Chain Home stations.
The game is The Burning Blue :

--- End quote ---

Hmm... so all 4 targets were bombed and a total of 8 bombing points scored -- though only 2 RDF Chain Home sites were knocked out (historically for six hours for 3 sites -- here for the rest of the day)
But never mind -- though Eprobungsgruppe 210 lost 3 Me 110s, they are going back to hit airbases.  Now it is very odd, historically, that the Me 110 proved to be an excellent fighterbomber and started the day before Eagle day with precision raids on the exact targets the Luftwaffe needed to hit -- RDF and airfields -- their success wasn't systematically followed up or, exploited or extended.
Possibly the fact that they were a non-elite, experimental unit full of average Joes meant that their results were discounted.  Or even more oddly that the Luftwaffe wanted Fighter Command to see
raids coming and be able to take off so they could be shot down...Hard to say.  Still, on the day before Eagle Day, the Luftwaffe started well and there are some more rather ambiguous raids to see about intercepting.

ArizonaTank:
Great game. I have pretty much everything Lee Brimmicombe-Wood has designed. And like the others, this one does not disappoint.

MengJiao:

--- Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 23, 2022, 07:42:37 AM ---Great game. I have pretty much everything Lee Brimmicombe-Wood has designed. And like the others, this one does not disappoint.

--- End quote ---

Yep.  Even the derivatives like Elusive Victory are pretty cool.  The Burning Blue is kind of amazing for how close the results are to the historical results -- even or especially at the
level of squadrons by the minute.

MengJiao:

--- Quote from: MengJiao on August 23, 2022, 08:39:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 23, 2022, 07:42:37 AM ---Great game. I have pretty much everything Lee Brimmicombe-Wood has designed. And like the others, this one does not disappoint.

--- End quote ---

Yep.  Even the derivatives like Elusive Victory are pretty cool.  The Burning Blue is kind of amazing for how close the results are to the historical results -- even or especially at the
level of squadrons by the minute.

--- End quote ---

Nevertheless, meanwhile, back at the 12th of August 1940 -- three hours later, the big raid of the day leaves Luftflot 3 airspace and heads across the Channel.  The Chain Home RDF at Pevensey is out, but
the Chain Home Low at Truleigh picks up the raid at maximum range -- maybe because it is quite a big mass of aircraft: the 63 Ju 88s of KG51 led by Kommadore Dr. Fisser (yep...that guy from the Scooby-do episode?) and about 150 109s and 110s as top cover (where they stay historically a bit too long).  Fighter Command scrambles 5 squadrons from 3 sectors:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version