Star Wars: Andor

Started by GDS_Starfury, September 22, 2022, 11:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

SirAndrewD

But good.  I think they made the first three episodes slow because they were interconnected and meant to be watched at once.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

they could have done it all in one long episode.
get to the meat!

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I find that stupid when they do a "Special Three Episode Release" and it's  really just one long one. 

They weren't even full run time, it was an hour and change all told and yes, total setup.

Still, it wasn't a bad watch.  I like Cassian as a character and it set up a really good story about the formation of the Rebellion from both perspectives. 

I like it introduced an Imperial who isn't a mass murdering monster and who will clearly be the misguided antagonist. 

I look forward to more.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

""Spoiler warning""

Watched the first episode and then the second two the next night. First two "backstory" episodes were not terribly interesting, but you could tell what they were going for. Last episode was much better......
The corporate security guards seemed pretty aliens3,dystopian future, this is the dirty untold underbelly of star wars.. Not really a kids show would another observation. But at least being Disney they did not go game of thrones unnecessarily over the top adult.
The first two episodes felt very much like I had seen and done all of that throughout TV history. It was like going through the motions of some boring paperwork before getting to do the exciting things.  In general it did not feel star wars.
I liked the droid, reminded me of vincent from the black hole. Beaten up and scared.
I will continue to watch it and hope that the slow prologue is done with and the current tempo keeps up.
The contact/buyer at the end was really cool as well. He seemed very star wars. Very telling that he did not care about the merch too much. Cannot wait to see xwing supported boarding actions ala rogue squadron.... if that happens.
P.s. It has me curious that his adopted mum thought the republic would kill andor, makes sense though in the context of palpatines republic I guess. Somebody I talked to thought the ships personnel insignia were wearing separatist insignia, which he thought were now persecuted and may have been chased to the planet where they crashed.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Silent Disapproval Robot

I am enjoying it.  I'm three episodes in and I find it much better than Obi-Wan or Book of Boba so far.  I like the aesthetics of the set designs quite a bit.  They combined the misery of British mill towns shutting down in the 70s and the slums of Central America.

I like the moral ambiguity of the story.  Cassian starts off by committing a murder and the corporate cop in charge of arresting him comes across as a righteous man (but a bit of a prig) working for a bad cause.  Bit of a Les Misérables vibe going on although Cassian is much more in the wrong than Jean Valjean was (murder being a bit more serious than loaf stealing).  As long as they don't break out into song, I'm good.  The burly Scottish cop was great!  Very officious and proper in demeanour yet still giving off a vibe of insincerity and cynicism.    Also really liked the scene between the world-weary police chief and the ambitious young officer. 

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I feel pretty much how you do SDR. 

One thing I've started doing in modern TV is I've stopped watching it as an episodic experience.  That's sad because I think there's a lot of room for episodic storytelling in the TV medium (YAY Strange New Worlds) but that just isn't where most shows go now.

I had a much better impression of Kenobi when I saved up episodes and binged it than I would have if I'd sat through each episode.  It wasn't meant to be seen in that way and it never should've been presented in a long arc like that. 

Same that the first three episodes of Andor should've been one.  It doesn't work as a one bite at a time thing, better as a meal. 

Destraex

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 23, 2022, 07:08:10 PM
Yeah, I feel pretty much how you do SDR. 

One thing I've started doing in modern TV is I've stopped watching it as an episodic experience.  That's sad because I think there's a lot of room for episodic storytelling in the TV medium (YAY Strange New Worlds) but that just isn't where most shows go now.

I had a much better impression of Kenobi when I saved up episodes and binged it than I would have if I'd sat through each episode.  It wasn't meant to be seen in that way and it never should've been presented in a long arc like that. 

Same that the first three episodes of Andor should've been one.  It doesn't work as a one bite at a time thing, better as a meal.
Agreed. I like doing that as well where I can. But caved and watched the first 3 episodes when it was clear my friends were not going to be able to keep their mouths shut about it. So now I am stuck in the endless pergitude of unfinished fragmented story world.
I am enjoying it a lot more than other star wars series so far though.

I'd rate the recent live action star wars TV series in this order
Mandalorian
Andor
Kenobi
Boba Fett

All Together for recent TV series
Clone Wars
Mandalorian
Andor
Rebels
Bad Batch
Resistance
Kenobi
Boba Fett
Visions
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

I have to admit I'm shocked that Disney Wars produced a series I'm actually interested in checking out.  Slow burn with moral ambiguity and characters who aren't characterized entirely by fancy combat moves?  Count me in!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

this series is fucking awesome!

Staggerwing

It's like Star Wars and Man in the High Castle got together and had a baby!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys