Devotion - The Story of Jesse Brown and Tom Hudner

Started by SirAndrewD, November 26, 2022, 11:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Just got back from seeing this one in the theater.

Really solid film.  I wouldn't call it a war movie, more a personal drama that has war and aviation in it.  However, I very much enjoyed the movie. 

A great testament to Jesse Brown's struggle to become a Naval Aviator that also recognizes the friendship and support he had from his squadron mates and other pilots despite the racial tensions inherent with his status.   The movie could very easily have fallen into a trap of being ham fisted and in your face but manages to actually do things even handed.

They did a good job of making the F4U Corsair one of the stars of the film...heck...might actually call it one of the films primary antagonists.   A lot of stuff I didn't expect about the difficulty of Bearcat/Skyraider pilots adjusting to the "Ensign Eliminator".

Always good to see a film that recognizes the Korean War as well. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I picked up the book the other day. It's certainly an amazing story.

Intend to see the movie, as well. Ward Carroll did a great "red carpet" interview at the US Navy Memorial in DC...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

My younger daughter (14) of all people went to see this last night and loved it. She told me I would too :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

em2nought

I've known this story in a way since I was seven or so.  Had a war comic that with three featurettes of one comrade trying to save another starting in Spad XIIIs WWI, then Hurricanes WW2, and finally Corsairs in Korea. The Korean War story was the same deal as happens in "Devotion".  I'm hoping to see it in a good theatre.
Stolen elections have consequences.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

This looks really good. I look forward to seeing it.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

The Wife and I saw it last weekend. Not a bad film but not a great one either. Kind of all over the place at times and not enough action and Corsair scenes. The acting was good however. Not worth full-price I'd say.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 09, 2022, 10:23:54 PM
The Wife and I saw it last weekend. Not a bad film but not a great one either. Kind of all over the place at times and not enough action and Corsair scenes. The acting was good however. Not worth full-price I'd say.
The special effects looked pretty bad for the aircraft scenes. Worse than the recent midway flick I would say.
Would you say that is true of the finished flick?

Sir Slash

Not as bad as the last Midway movie but certainly less air action scenes than that movie as well. Only a couple of combat scenes in the whole film.

SirAndrewD

It is not a war movie. 

It's a historical character drama and a war happens for a short time in it. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

Thx guys. Will give it a miss then. It's funny that the trailer seems to have a significant portion of "war movie".

Sir Slash

Again, it's not a bad movie, just not a great one. Even the emotional scenes weren't very emotional in my opinion. If it wasn't a War Movie, them maybe they should've made it one. Almost nothing about why the flyers had to rescue the Marines at Chosin Reservoir or why the war was being fought at all. A bit more about the planes, the missions, the opposition, tactics, etc. would've been welcome.

SirAndrewD

I too would've liked to see a movie about the Korean Air War. 

This was a good movie in its own right though.  Not sure I'd have gone to the theater for it knowing what I know now, but I enjoyed it and would watch again with others.

al_infierno

Sounds like it's less Dunkirk and more The King's Speech, so to say?

Seems interesting, I'll give this one a go.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao