Old School D&D Forum game

Started by MetalDog, January 29, 2012, 01:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

If there is enough interest, I'd be glad to run a play by post D&D game.  1st Edition AD&D or straight D&D.  I'd like to get between four and six players of varying classes.  This will be my first go round, so, an attempt at seriousness would be appreciated.  No previous experience required, nor are possession of the rulebooks.  Any takers?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

Me! I'm a virgin to this though. Please be gentle.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Be glad to.  Just bring your imagination!

Staggerwing

I've never played D&D. Is it turn based? How often would you need a turn sent in?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

I tell the story you interact through your character.  I've never done this through post, so I'm sure there would be some tweaking involved.  Regular participation would be strongly suggested (at least a daily check).

Staggerwing

I'd be interested if you could provide training wheels in the beginning. I can handle a post a day. What site would
you recommend to learn about the game's Lore?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

Wizards of the Coast is the current home of D&D.  I haven't been there in God knows how long, so, for 1st Edition or Basic D&D info, I'm not sure where to point you.

I can say that, as long as you have an imagination and want to participate, you shouldn't need much else.  Character generation is quick.  Pick a class, fighter, magic user, cleric, thief.  Roll up some statistics strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, constitution and charisma.  Then give your hero a name and bit of a background as to why s/he is adventuring and away we go.

I thought I saw Brant say something about a dice rolling program included with the software.  That would take care of anything random, including stat generation, rolls to hit, saving throws, etc.

Basically, I'm going to tell a story.  You, as your character, are going to participate.  Think Lord of the Rings, except you get to be a participant rather than an observer.  Each adventure you will gain experience and treasure.  You will resolve conflict and advance the story until the campaign reaches its end.  Then, if we all still want to go on, we can start another storyline.

MetalDog

And seeing as you and Gus are newbs, I'd like to see some of our more experienced players, yes, I'm looking at LB, SoM and Brant, to shepherd you along.

bayonetbrant

tentatively interested, but not sure how much time I'll have to play
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 29, 2012, 05:28:25 PM
tentatively interested, but not sure how much time I'll have to play

No biggie.  I'm hoping that a post a day from the participants will be sufficient in the beginning.  Once we get rolling, I'd hope that everyone would WANT to post more than once. 

And where's that dice roller I saw you post about?

LongBlade

Dice roller is on the front page.

Yeah, I can chip in. Will need to dig out my v1 books.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MetalDog

Quote from: LongBlade on January 29, 2012, 05:32:51 PM

Yeah, I can chip in. Will need to dig out my v1 books.

EXCELLENT!  Welcome aboard!  That's three solids and a tentative.  I'd like to know what kind of questions Gus and Stagger have so I can work on answering them ahead of time.  If I can get everyone in a good place by this weekend, we can roll up some characters and flesh out the beginnings.

MetalDog

Quote from: LongBlade on January 29, 2012, 05:32:51 PM

You're gonna have to provide a map.  Apparently, I am blind and can't see it.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MetalDog

^Thank you sir.  Any idea where I can get a free program to use for polyhedral dice that we can all see?