Websites that cause you issues

Started by Toonces, February 02, 2012, 12:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I suppose I could have posted this somewhere else, but it's really relevant here.  I was chatting up one of my co-workers who is a hardcore boardgamer ("Toonces, have you ever heard of a website called 'Boardgamegeek?'"  Me: "Why yes, yes I have...") and we were discussing D&D and he pointed me to Drivethrurpg.com.  If you haven't been there, don't go. 

You know, I've been so sheltered.  I pretty much thought RPG's began and ended with Dungeons and Dragons.  Who knew that there is a whole world of role playing games out there?  Not me!  Well, as I goofed around there I was pretty much ok until I read about Pendragon.  It's so easy to acquire stuff on Drivethru...most everything is via .pdf for a handful of bucks.  So I get Pendragon and I'm totally blown away by it...so totally cool.  I had no idea games like this even existed.

Now I'm sitting here browsing through all of these RPG's set in Rome...am I interested?  You betcha!  I'd love to play an RPG set in ancient Rome!  And there's just so much stuff there.  I'm sitting here, credit card in hand, thinking, "Well, why not?  I'll just pick up this one book and that's it..." but we all know it's never "it". 

I wish I had never seen that website.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Steelgrave

You know I went there, right? I was never good at resisting temptation.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Toonces on February 02, 2012, 12:33:12 AMwe were discussing D&D and he pointed me to Drivethrurpg.com.  If you haven't been there, don't go. 

And especially don't subscribe to their weekly email that includes links to free downloads of products from publishers and some pretty good looking print-and-play maps

Quote from: Toonces on February 02, 2012, 12:33:12 AMSo I get Pendragon and I'm totally blown away by it...so totally cool.  I had no idea games like this even existed.

Oy. I suppose this is a bad time to tell you I had an older version of Pendragon back in '93, eh?  It might even be in one of the 273846756 boxes of game stuff I'm in the process of moving into the new house.  (I think I'm down to just 3 left to move...)

If you like Pendragon, you ought to check out the Albion system, too.    Free starter/intro to download here.

You're welcome
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Double Deuce

I made the mistake of starting a wishlist at Drivethrurpg.com.   :'(

TheCommandTent

Definitely don't got to their sister site  http://www.wargamevault.com/   and like what was said above do not give them their email address for their weekly email
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

^  Must...resist...schmuck bait... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

son_of_montfort

Also don't go to the store www.miniaturemarket.com. For minis lovers like you guys, this place is dangerous. Particularly because they have lightning fast shipping.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

TheCommandTent

Speaking of shipping dont go to http://www.thewarstore.com/ as they have very fast shipping all at a flat rate no matter your orders size.  And great customer service to boot.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 02, 2012, 10:29:40 AM
Also don't go to the store www.miniaturemarket.com. For minis lovers like you guys, this place is dangerous. Particularly because they have lightning fast shipping.

Miniature Market might be the bane of my existence.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

One thing I'd throw out for DriveThruRPG is that they do have a weekly email newsletter that includes a freebie every week.  Even if you're able to resist the urge to open the wallet, it's pretty cool to have the option get something new each week to read through.  They also have some darn spiffy maps in many of those newsletters, so add that to the 'plus' column, too.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

twitter3

I have no issues.  Outta my way!  I'm typing in the link right now...............................................5 minutes later....NO!!!!!!

What have I done?  I'm starting to think of things I can live without: Food?  Electricity?  Hot water?  Trade car in for bike?

Toonces

Just a plug for DrivethruRPG...I had ordered the hard copies of the Pendragon rules and Great Campaign.  Well, after 2.5 weeks I still hadn't received them.  I emailed their customer service and asked them to confirm that they had definitely sent them.  They replied that it seemed my local post office "lost" them and asked me to confirm my shipping info and they'd send out a new set.

So, I did, and 2 days later I received the original set.  I emailed them back and told them I received the original package, so not to send the new one.  They did anyway and 2 more days later I received a second set via priority mail.

The books were like $85, so sending out a second set, by priority mail to Hawaii no less, was pretty nice of them I thought.  I'll definitely be shopping there again.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Barthheart

Quote from: Toonces on February 29, 2012, 12:16:28 PM
Just a plug for DrivethruRPG...I had ordered the hard copies of the Pendragon rules and Great Campaign.  Well, after 2.5 weeks I still hadn't received them.  I emailed their customer service and asked them to confirm that they had definitely sent them.  They replied that it seemed my local post office "lost" them and asked me to confirm my shipping info and they'd send out a new set.

So, I did, and 2 days later I received the original set.  I emailed them back and told them I received the original package, so not to send the new one.  They did anyway and 2 more days later I received a second set via priority mail.

The books were like $85, so sending out a second set, by priority mail to Hawaii no less, was pretty nice of them I thought.  I'll definitely be shopping there again.

When are you starting up the Pendragon game?? :)

Toonces

I need some time to sit down and get the preliminaries set up.  We'll get to it eventually.