Main Menu

VTOL VR

Started by Jarhead0331, July 11, 2017, 08:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I totally agree. It's past the "concept" stage and has taken root.

But lower entry level price, more games (that I would be interested in) and better graphics are what I have to wait for. The latter could be removed if the other two happened though.

For me, I'm looking at DCS, a set of gloves and a fully clickable cockpit. I want to actually be flying that Hog.

I'm looking at pCars with a set of pedals and a wheel - nothing else.

I'm wanting VR to be total immersion in that world - not dipping in and out of it which is why I said perhaps this flight sim is the first item to make me look seriously (graphics aside) at VR and seeing it going towards how I want my VR experience. Complete immersion.

However, I am concerned about the VHS/Betamax war. Which one will take or in other words which one will I be lumbered with should the market not be able to support a large amount of different units and implementations

It's good to see it's here to stay. I need more before I justify the price tag though. Plus - I'm not sure I have the room. Maybe I'll get myself to a demo somewhere and experience it for myself. That could swing it - maybe.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on July 11, 2017, 05:10:50 PM
I doubt many of us have a VR set.  :(

Yup. Looks cool, but it's going to be awhile before I'm playing any VR games.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

acctingman

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 12, 2017, 06:16:09 AM
I'm telling you this right now, VR is not a gimmick, a passing fad, or simply a limited tech demo or proof of concept. The technology is here to stay, and in my opinion, not only is it the future of gaming, but it's the future of recreation. I'm quite confident that VR, or some technology closely related to it, is going to rewrite the book on how people spend their free time and how they interact socially.

In its present state, there isn't a time where I put that head set on and I am not totally awed or wowed by a new experience. It is so much more than evolution in gaming, it is a revolution.

JD, yes, as a general rule, the visual fidelity of most games is limited due to shortcomings in computing power. In order to maintain a high rate of fps, graphics must be lower res, lower texture, etc. but in most instances, they still look very good. VTOL VR looks especially rough, but only because it's pre alpha that you're looking at. You simply cannot discount this technology because of how it looks in screenshots or in 2D videos. I've said it before. VR has to be seen first hand in order for it to be believed.

that bolded line is kinda scary. As I get older I find myself wanting to be outside more and more, but I will always enjoy gaming  O0

Jarhead0331

Quote from: acctingman on July 12, 2017, 08:24:25 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 12, 2017, 06:16:09 AM
I'm telling you this right now, VR is not a gimmick, a passing fad, or simply a limited tech demo or proof of concept. The technology is here to stay, and in my opinion, not only is it the future of gaming, but it's the future of recreation. I'm quite confident that VR, or some technology closely related to it, is going to rewrite the book on how people spend their free time and how they interact socially.

In its present state, there isn't a time where I put that head set on and I am not totally awed or wowed by a new experience. It is so much more than evolution in gaming, it is a revolution.

JD, yes, as a general rule, the visual fidelity of most games is limited due to shortcomings in computing power. In order to maintain a high rate of fps, graphics must be lower res, lower texture, etc. but in most instances, they still look very good. VTOL VR looks especially rough, but only because it's pre alpha that you're looking at. You simply cannot discount this technology because of how it looks in screenshots or in 2D videos. I've said it before. VR has to be seen first hand in order for it to be believed.

that bolded line is kinda scary. As I get older I find myself wanting to be outside more and more, but I will always enjoy gaming  O0

I agree...it is scary and just as social media is presenting unique challenges to our culture, so will VR. It will definitely cause many people to prefer virtual life and interaction over and above that which is real and in the "flesh".  No doubt about it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 12, 2017, 06:57:06 AM
I totally agree. It's past the "concept" stage and has taken root.

But lower entry level price, more games (that I would be interested in) and better graphics are what I have to wait for. The latter could be removed if the other two happened though.

For me, I'm looking at DCS, a set of gloves and a fully clickable cockpit. I want to actually be flying that Hog.

I'm looking at pCars with a set of pedals and a wheel - nothing else.

I'm wanting VR to be total immersion in that world - not dipping in and out of it which is why I said perhaps this flight sim is the first item to make me look seriously (graphics aside) at VR and seeing it going towards how I want my VR experience. Complete immersion.

However, I am concerned about the VHS/Betamax war. Which one will take or in other words which one will I be lumbered with should the market not be able to support a large amount of different units and implementations

It's good to see it's here to stay. I need more before I justify the price tag though. Plus - I'm not sure I have the room. Maybe I'll get myself to a demo somewhere and experience it for myself. That could swing it - maybe.

JD, a lot of the cooler games that you might be interested in, you really have to dig for to find. Unless you're looking, you could miss them because they don't usually get top billing on Steam. Also, Oculus has some really great exclusive games that will not be advertised on Steam, at all, but which can still be played through Steam and an HTC Vive with special software called "Revive".
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

I don't really think of it as scary. Consider the massive changes in social interaction and recreation that has happened in the past 20-25 years. Not long ago we called people on landlines from fixed locations. Now we hardly call people at all. It's much more likely we text or email from a mobile device. And many of us don't have landlines at all these days.

There was a time when I went to my local bookstore to pick up the NY Times. I can't tell you the last time I purchased a newspaper or went into a bookstore at all.

15 years ago I went to Blockbuster 2-3 times a week for videos. Now Blockbuster is gone and I rarely rent or buy physical media for anything.

Things change, life goes on. I miss printed papers, but I also love the convenience of being able to read the news online anytime. I can play almost any game I want on a computer, but I still get together regularly with friends to play physical games. The social interaction is at least as important as playing the game.

The people most likely to prefer a VR world over the real world are most likely the same people who already avoid the real world as much as possible. There will be VR addiction because there is addiction of all sorts already. Just another escape from reality with the potential to be abused.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on July 12, 2017, 09:15:00 AM
I don't really think of it as scary. Consider the massive changes in social interaction and recreation that has happened in the past 20-25 years. Not long ago we called people on landlines from fixed locations. Now we hardly call people at all. It's much more likely we text or email from a mobile device. And many of us don't have landlines at all these days.

There was a time when I went to my local bookstore to pick up the NY Times. I can't tell you the last time I purchased a newspaper or went into a bookstore at all.

15 years ago I went to Blockbuster 2-3 times a week for videos. Now Blockbuster is gone and I rarely rent or buy physical media for anything.

Things change, life goes on. I miss printed papers, but I also love the convenience of being able to read the news online anytime. I can play almost any game I want on a computer, but I still get together regularly with friends to play physical games. The social interaction is at least as important as playing the game.

The people most likely to prefer a VR world over the real world are most likely the same people who already avoid the real world as much as possible. There will be VR addiction because there is addiction of all sorts already. Just another escape from reality with the potential to be abused.

Maybe, but it just seems to me that you may not be appreciating the real potential of VR. Moving books and other media from brick and mortar stores to digital ones is evolutionary, not revolutionary, in my opinion. VR is going to rewrite the book. Again, until you really experience it, you can't really appreciate just how much impact it may potentially have on culture and interaction. By experiencing it, I don't mean walking into a microsoft store and trying on a headset. You really need to dive deep into the wide range of applications that are presently in development.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

acctingman

Well, if I can strap on a VR device to my melon and then have p0rn love with Selma Hayek, then F**K real life.....strap me up!  :crazy2:

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 12, 2017, 09:21:30 AM
Maybe, but it just seems to me that you may not be appreciating the real potential of VR. Moving books and other media from brick and mortar stores to digital ones is evolutionary, not revolutionary, in my opinion. VR is going to rewrite the book. Again, until you really experience it, you can't really appreciate just how much impact it may potentially have on culture and interaction. By experiencing it, I don't mean walking into a microsoft store and trying on a headset. You really need to dive deep into the wide range of applications that are presently in development.

I'm not disputing that it will have a major cultural impact. I just don't see the changes as something to be frightened by.

From when I was a child to today, the world is a vastly different place. And those changes took place in less than 40 years. I like the world we have today. People may interact in different ways. but they still interact. Hell, 20 years ago you and I wouldn't be having a conversation. We wouldn't even be aware of each other at all.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on July 12, 2017, 09:28:48 AM
I'm not disputing that it will have a major cultural impact. I just don't see the changes as something to be frightened by.

Well, I suppose you can either be afraid of the changes, or you can embrace them.

From when I was a child to today, the world is a vastly different place. And those changes took place in less than 40 years. I like the world we have today. People may interact in different ways. but they still interact.

Again, I argue that the changes you speak of over 40 years were largely evolutionary, not revolutionary. There is a tremendous difference. I do concede things like smart phones and the internet were certainly revolutionary from many perspectives, primarily in terms of flow and access to information, but they have certainly impacted the way in which people interact and I believe many of those changes are having and will continue to have negative impacts on culture and society across the board. The symptoms and results of these changes are best left for a different thread.

That being said, VR (or a derivative of it) is going to change how people interact at a much more fundamental and pervasive level. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

Hell, 20 years ago you and I wouldn't be having a conversation. We wouldn't even be aware of each other at all.

Here is proof of the very negative potential impact of technology. I rest my case.  :smitten:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jack Nastyface

IMHO...I agree with Jarhead.  VR is going to have a tremendous impact on so many different levels.  Granted, there is now and will always be a desire / need / necessity / want for a real, physical interface, be it with a book or game or whatever, but VR is really the only technology that has the ability to influence both our lens and perspective on how we interact with things.  Take something like an live Forumla 1 race that supports multiple live VR streams.  You could watch the race as a traditional "TV" view, as an overhead drone, as a car / helmet camera, as a pit crew etc, etc, etc.  Now image that we record the weather, conditions, pole-settings, and telemetry for all the cars for entire race, and then allow you to download them to your home gaming console.  You would now be able to VRtually drive the race without having to invest in thousands of dollars worth of PC racing sim gear (steering wheels, shift, pedals, etc).  And then once that race is over, you can use the same damn headset to fly a jet fighter, play some of VR-MMORPG, browse the library of congress, or figure out exactly where you should place you bedding-out plants for best view from your deck.  Once companies start building more VR-accessories, the experience will just grow.  And...I am sure that no-one here will be surprised that the adult entertainment industry is already looking at tele-sex (think VR headsets and - ahem - interactive anatomical devices).
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2017, 04:52:01 PM
.if this was another Civil War or Napoleonic game with stupid red and blue cardboard looking chits with numbers on them, you'd all be on this like stink on $hit.

:2funny:
Grogheads

bbmike

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on July 13, 2017, 07:01:18 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2017, 04:52:01 PM
.if this was another Civil War or Napoleonic game with stupid red and blue cardboard looking chits with numbers on them, you'd all be on this like stink on $hit.

:2funny:
Grogheads

Oooh, that reminds me! Gettysburg: The Tide Turns from Matrix releases today!  ^-^
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Yskonyn

I cleared it with the wife: Oculus Rift has been ordered!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Skoop

What made you go with oculus over the vive ? Or was it just simple better priced ?