Any good books on Gustav Adoplh and his Swedish Empire

Started by Gusington, December 20, 2017, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Found a cool scenario in Pike and Shot so of course I need some backgound reading, but Amazon is decidedly lacking in recommendations.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

There's a Great Generals book that had a large section on Gustav in it.  Read it a number of years ago.  Also had sections on Turenne and some others from that period.  Couldn't find it but I did find this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Gustavus-Adolphus-Succession-Detailed-Campaigns-ebook/dp/B0092XQLHM

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

For a wargamer, the best I've read is "Battles of the Thirty Years War", White Mountain to Nordlingen by WP Guthrie.
He was a wargamer and his interest in tactics, weapons, battle reports, and logistic methods are very in depth and useful.
His orders of battle are often down to independent companies.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Battles_of_the_Thirty_Years_War.html?id=8UZo2UBMdKYC

I think the publisher is out of business, so you'd need a used copy, or can get through interlibrary loan.
He grabbed me with the account of Breitenfield.  Pappenheim's five cavalry assaults had never made much sense, but his narrative, and explanation of the different tactics that the two armies used, made it much clearer.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd