Main Menu

Neuromancer

Started by Gusington, August 05, 2012, 09:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

So I just ordered Neuromancer to read while playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. For those who have read it, what do you think of it? How does it hold up after 20 years? Any tips or anything I should know before I start it?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

good book, but sometimes a little too internally self-referencing.

that said, I read a lot of it by red-lens flashlight while camping on tanks at Ft Irwin in the late-90s.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

Hmm maybe I'll rent an M1A1 and do the same :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Generally regarded as starting the cyber punk genre.  I like it quite well.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^What about it tickles your fancy?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

It's actually outside my usual reading style.  I liked the atmosphere and background that Gibson conjured as well as the setting.  Been many years since I last went through it.  Sorry to be so vague.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

No that's cool, all of my favorite fiction books had unique atmosphere.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Gusington on August 06, 2012, 07:45:58 PM

Actually, I was on a vis-mod M551 Sheridan in the OPFOR.

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

Perhaps I can get hooked up with something similar at USMA.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

0kult13

I have read it 4 times, brill little book, over to quickly. Its the first part in a larger story (the sprawl trilogy) with count zero and mona lisa overdrive. Sometimes they are a bit cheesy but just tell yourself this was written in 1984. I totally loved the climax in mlo.   

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 07, 2012, 06:41:07 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 06, 2012, 07:45:58 PM

Actually, I was on a vis-mod M551 Sheridan in the OPFOR.

Was that the one you shot the Apache with?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

No - those were M1A1's w/ instrumentation to have the computer think they were T80s, but other than the laser-tag sensors (and non-eye-safe lasers!) they were just regular M1s.