Bummer, finally caught up on my reading...........

Started by undercovergeek, August 09, 2012, 03:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

I personally dont know how those people that got in on the ground floor have managed to wait so patiently for the GRR Martin books to come round year after year. I happened upon the series when then the list looks like it does now and then bought them all, now i, like the rest must play the waiting game for the last ones.................... sigh

Is there anything akin to this series that might see me through the next 5 years whist George does his best?

I really enjoyed the Brandon Sanderson Mistborn trilogy and ive nearly finished that too, my only hope is the long stretch of WH40k books ahead of me

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Greybriar

I believe I read the entire Wheel of Time series while waiting for an upcoming George R.R. Martin book to come out. Someone shared that every time a new book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series was released, he read all the previous novels of the series again in order to refresh his memory. This is a rather harsh thing to say, but I'm beginning to think that younger readers might be better off waiting for Martin to die so they won't have to wait years for his next book.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Greybriar on August 09, 2012, 05:29:42 PM
This is a rather harsh thing to say, but I'm beginning to think that younger readers might be better off waiting for Martin to die so they won't have to wait years for his next book.

I didn't think of it quite like that but thats basically my plan.  ::)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

I'm just watching it all on HBO.  It's not 100% canon, but I'm not losing 27 years of my life to reading them either, and the TV show is perfectly entertaining.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 10, 2012, 03:58:32 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 09, 2012, 05:52:31 AM
Katherine Kurtz's Deryni series?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aderyni&keywords=deryni&ie=UTF8&qid=1344509515

ill have a look, thanks brant - the wheel ones look interesting too

I am only two books in to the Wheel of Times series and about to start the third.  I was warned so I thought I would pass it on to you.  You have to get through the first book as it drags on quite slowly but the second book pays off.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bob48

Check out the books by R.Scott. Bakker - 'The Prince of Nothing' series. Very meaty, epic stuff.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Toonces

I started a three-book trilogy called Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (actually, it looks like it's 4 books, not 3).  I almost finished the first book before I had to take it back to the library, but I liked what I read.  It is similar to Game of Thrones but with a little bit more of a fantasy bent.  Not a lot, but a bit more- one of the main characters is a halfling and there are some monsters that are similar to the others in GoT.

I'm considering starting the series again.  It was good and there's really no good reason why I stopped reading it.  Just distracted by some other book I guess.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Martok

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 09, 2012, 03:21:03 AM

Is there anything akin to this series that might see me through the next 5 years whist George does his best?

I really enjoyed the Brandon Sanderson Mistborn trilogy and ive nearly finished that too,
I recommend the Wheel of Time series, but with a note of caution:  Some of the books drag a bit. 

Specifically, the 1st book (Eye of the World), plus books 7-10 (Crown of Swords, Path of Daggers, Winter's Heart, and Crossroads of Twilight).  They're still worth reading IMHO, and they do still advance the story, but I won't deny the pacing in those five books leaves something to be desired when compared to the rest of the series. 

Incidentally, I too enjoyed Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy -- enough so that I'm now very excited to read the last three Wheel of Time novels (once he completes the final one)! 

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 09, 2012, 09:28:17 PM
I'm just watching it all on HBO.  It's not 100% canon, but I'm not losing 27 years of my life to reading them either, and the TV show is perfectly entertaining.
I find the TV series to actually be somewhat entertaining as well...which only leads me to believe that Martin himself has no hand in writing the episodes.  :P 

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 10, 2012, 07:13:55 AM
I am only two books in to the Wheel of Times series and about to start the third.  I was warned so I thought I would pass it on to you.  You have to get through the first book as it drags on quite slowly but the second book pays off.
Glad you're enjoying them now!  I'd hate to have unwittingly led you astray.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Martok on August 12, 2012, 08:11:22 AM

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 10, 2012, 07:13:55 AM
Glad you're enjoying them now!  I'd hate to have unwittingly led you astray.  :)

I appreciate you telling me to stick with the series.  I really enjoyed the 2nd book and am looking forward to the 3rd ... as soon as I find time to read it that is.  :D

undercovergeek

thanks for all advice - i think ill give the wheel of time ones a bash

has anyone read 'pillars of the earth' by the way - it keeps coming up on amazon with the 'customers also bought' section

Martok

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 12, 2012, 09:23:15 AM
has anyone read 'pillars of the earth' by the way - it keeps coming up on amazon with the 'customers also bought' section
I read it after my aunt recommended it to me, and have since heard other people praise it a fair bit. 

I wasn't blown away, but it's a decent enough read.  If you're at all interested in 12th-century England, odds are good you'd enjoy it. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

I read Pillars Of The Earth.  I enjoyed it.  It's straight historical fiction, no fantasy elements.

I would strongly try to dissuade you from Wheel Of Time.  When it's said that pacing is an issue, that's an understatement.  Times a million.  Followed by infinity.  You'd be better off waiting for the monkeys to finish typing Shakespeare before you attempted any of those books.

On the other hand, the R. Scott Bakker books I can't recommend highly enough.

And pray that Martin finishes the series in something less than an epoch.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!