How do you clean your lenses?

Started by Ubercat, December 14, 2019, 06:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

How do you clean your lenses? I've seen YouTube videos that say the cloth that comes with the headset will actually scratch them. Anyone have any secret lens cleaning weapons?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Staggerwing

Quote from: Ubercat on December 14, 2019, 06:07:42 PM
How do you clean your lenses? I've seen YouTube videos that say the cloth that comes with the headset will actually scratch them. Anyone have any secret lens cleaning weapons?

For most plastic optical systems you can use any cloth and spray that are safe for antireflective-coated eyeglass lenses. With glasses you would spray the lenses to remove grit or dried sweatsalt or whatnot, then dry off the excess with the cloth. I imagine that spraying the lenses inside the VR get might not be feasible so you could use a camera puffer or mild spray air first to blow away any grit, then use a slightly moistened corner of an approved microfiber cloth to clean off the oils and smudges. You can also buy disposable lab-grade lint-free tissues such as Kimwipes to use. The scratching you get on plastic lenses is usually due to grit already on the lens or already on the cloth.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Yskonyn

I use the Rift's included cloth without issues.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."