[Dominions 5] Grogs4way (in progress)

Started by W8taminute, February 27, 2020, 11:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Clarify-willing to play LA, but I know nothing about it. Probably like EA best, but I am happy with any age!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Ajidica

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on May 04, 2020, 04:01:01 AM
TOTALLY won't be a meme bless on Mictlan :D.
MA Mictlan doesn't have blood until the very late game, so I can't go quite as memebless as EA or LA Mictlan who can lean heavily on Ozelotl.

QuoteMy pick will somewhat depend on map played.  If we're doing a random map or something I might pick a water nation, but water nations are outright broken on Biddyn for example (as in, they can spawn 2 provinces from multiple opposing capitals and have no real expansion options).
I'd be down for a different map, if we can figure out how to use a custom map with Llamaserver and if someone wants to make sure the start positions are vaguely balanced. The Dom5 map generator is much better than the Dom4 one, but still creates terrible start locations far too often to be reliable.

@Solops: Oh god, not more Agartha! You trying to traumatize me here?
The big thing with LA is that magic paths are much lower, forcing a greater reliance on breaking into new paths, forging, and pretender paths. These are all things that TheMeInTeam showed he is pretty good at last game. LA also has tougher indies which makes expansion more difficult. On the flip side, provinces are better so income and blood slaves are higher.

solops

My one-eyed noble folk are 0 of 2. No reason to be apprehensive.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Ajidica

Quote from: solops on May 04, 2020, 04:02:50 PM
The Germans haven't won any world wars, still no reason to trust them with Panzers!

solops

I played around with the Dom5 map generator a couple of months ago and after a number of tries got a few maps I liked. But, the game kept putting me right on the map edge. There is a third party generator that allowed editing of the map and I was able to mark individual areas as "do not start here." Someone who knows more about it might be able to take a map custom sized for our player count and fix it with a dozen good starting spots....maybe? Wish I knew more about it.

al_infierno

Actually, if we're doing EA or MA, I changed my mind and decided I'd like to play the monkey bois (Kailasa & Bandar Log) if nobody's claimed them  :coolsmiley:

My picks for EA LA stay the same.

On second (or third or whatever) thought, for my first online game I'll go with somebody with better priests.  My latest and hopefully final picks, if these are avilable:

OK, third time's a charm.  I decided I'mma just go with C'Tis no matter what age we go with, since they're my most-played nation.   8)

EA: C'Tis
MA: C'Tis
LA: C'Tis
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

Also, has anybody tried taking Ind online yet?  After watching DasTactic's series on them, I played them for a game and fell in love with the bizarro playstyle.  Definitely wouldn't want to try 'em online for my first game.   :buck2:

They seem like the perfect faction for a memebless playthrough.

Quote from: Ajidica on May 04, 2020, 07:14:04 PM
The Germans haven't won any world wars, still no reason to trust them with Panzers!

Also, underrated exchange.   :2funny:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

TheMeInTeam

I've seen a wide range of opinion on how to approach Ind even from good players, it's an interesting nation.  I'm inclined to agree they're probably best as scales.

I'm starting to lean towards taking Eriu out for a spin, but I need a lot more practice with them.  Also considering Machaka.

The big thing with LA is that magic paths are much lower, forcing a greater reliance on breaking into new paths, forging, and pretender paths. These are all things that TheMeInTeam showed he is pretty good at last game. LA also has tougher indies which makes expansion more difficult. On the flip side, provinces are better so income and blood slaves are higher.

Heh, towards the end of the game I had the 3 elemental queens, a faerie queen, and had one of the fire kings up after everyone went AI in final turns before claiming throne.  I made too many dwarven hammers unfortunately, otherwise I could have pushed up earth and had all of earth blood deep well, maelstrom, well of misery, mother oak, and vengeful water going (other than EBDW I did get all the others).  I think everyone else took more base dominion candles than me though, I could keep dominion in my own provinces but pushing it was pretty slow.

LA is also the most communion/sabbath heavy age.  I thought blood slaves scale with site search probability and thus that offset the higher pop of LA somewhat?  Still, LA has a several high end blood nations and several more that start with reasonable access.  MA has the least emphasis on blood, and it's true that includes Mictlan.  Mictlan has pretty nice native path access though.  Breaking into death is easy for them, so it's really just earth and blood missing.

QuoteThe Germans haven't won any world wars, still no reason to trust them with Panzers!

Yeah, fighting Agartha's troops/summons is a pain even w/o path diversity from them.  It performs kind of badly in LA, but in EA and MA it's a top 5 pick and winrate nation.  Huge prot + good damage doesn't have a lot of bad matchups, especially not with earth buffs and national summons that just ignore morale, multiple elements, and throw around a damage type Agartha doesn't otherwise have much.  I needed multiple level 7 branches to deal with that stuff.

Still, I'd rather see Agartha again than someone using Ermor, Sceleria, or Pangaea at a high level in MA.

solops

And yet, I managed to lose twice! It must be a skill thing .... hmmmm.

Ajidica

QuoteBreaking into death is easy for them, so it's really just earth and blood missing.
MA Mictlan still has access to the EA/LA Mictlan blood spells, which include summonable blood mages. Need to decide if putting blood points on my pretender would be worth some economy scales.

W8taminute

Quote from: Ajidica on May 04, 2020, 07:14:04 PM

Ha!  Nice one.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Ajidica on May 05, 2020, 04:55:44 PM
QuoteBreaking into death is easy for them, so it's really just earth and blood missing.
MA Mictlan still has access to the EA/LA Mictlan blood spells, which include summonable blood mages. Need to decide if putting blood points on my pretender would be worth some economy scales.

Yeah it's a tough choice.  Especially because if you want to put that blood path to work before mid game, you don't want to go imprisoned which will remove even more scales/limit other options. 

I'm not sure what I'd do with MA Mictlan either.  Blood is nice, but they can go a very long way with a scales setup with a small bless too.  They still break into blood guaranteed late game and some of their astral/nature options in the late game are really brutal.  It's always hard to pick when you can do so many different things but they require heavy investment of research into different schools of magic.

solops

Map size effects game length effects pretender design.