[Avalon Digital] Libertdad o Muerte! / Battles for Spain / Winter War

Started by al_infierno, January 20, 2021, 09:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Anyone up for a PBEM game of Libertdad o Muerte, Battles for Spain, or Winter War?

I think these games generally show their strengths in mid-sized scenarios.  I'm listing the scenarios I'm interested in playing but feel free to suggest any others you prefer.  I'm open to playing either side of any scenario.

Scenarios I'm interested in:

Libertdad o Muerte - I'd prefer not to play the Grand Campaign for this one since it seems mind-bogglingly huge, but if someone wants to commit to it I'd be down.  Otherwise:

• Bolivar (27 turns)
  • La Plata 1810 (27 turns)
  • Mexico (25 turns)

Battles for Spain

• Guadalajara 1937 (30 turns)
  • Ebro 1938 (45 turns)

Winter War

• The Winter War (Grand Campaign -14 turns)
  • Plan R4 (6 turns)
  • The 1939 Attack (4 turns)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

Ooooh I have Winter War on my wishlist but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'm waiting for a sale but what is your opinion on the game al?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

I've not spent much time with Winter War, but it seems like it has the weakest offering of scenarios between the three.  There's only one scenario that lasts more than 5 or 6 turns, which is the grand campaign.  The other games have a meatier selection of mid-size scenaios.

That said if you're interested in the setting I can totally recommend it.  It took some time to get used to the UI and the game flow (it basically feels like a digital board game) but it's quite elegant and easy to play, with satisfying combat mechanics imo.

Also - it's worth noting that most of my experience is with LoM and BFS, which are both developed by HQ.  Winter War was developed by someone else.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao