Main Menu

Desura Group?

Started by spelk, April 14, 2013, 08:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

You know we have a Steam group, is there any reason to have a Desura indie game group for the Grogs? Just a thought.

Not entirely sure what multiplayer games available on Desura would be worth playing with other Grogs.

Huw the Poo

Is Desura even a platform for chat/multiplayer?  I don't think I've ever noticed.  However I'll join if someone makes a group.

spelk

Yeah it seems to have a lot of the functionality of a social network, messaging, groups and what not. You can even follow particular developers and join in etc.

It's wikipedia page says:

Features

The Desura client is heavily tied to its website through the use of the Chromium Embedded Framework; most of its services are provided through its online interface, with the exception of the game launcher, installer, and update features. This provides Desura with a consistent interface that does not vary dramatically from system to system.

The interface itself offers various selections based on what feature a user may want to access, with installed games being offered through the "Play" tab, games available for download or purchase being offered through the "Games" tab, user interaction and social networking features from the "Community" tab, information and features for game developers through the "Development" tab, and technical support and client settings through the "Support" tab.[1]

Unlike many of its competitors, Desura does not impose digital rights management, and Desura employees have commented against its use in the past, recommending that content producers ship without DRM or at least use a CD Key system instead. However, Desura itself is DRM agnostic, and publishers and developers may sell games that require such technologies to be used. Desura will make sure users purchasing these titles are aware of the DRM it ships with and how it works.[2]

Huw the Poo

I was referring specifically to real-time chat and some kind of multiplayer functionality though, which are two things that Desura doesn't seem to have.  I do like Desura as a platform but it's a bit lacking there, really.