Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich = $1.99

Started by airboy, July 12, 2013, 10:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

On sale at Amazon Kindle store for $1.99 today.

Toonces

I only read half of it, but it is a GREAT book and I highly recommend it!  I already had the hard copy and I bought it on sale a few years ago at this price just to have it electronically as well.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I have an ancient copy of it that my Grandmother of all people gave me like 30 years ago. Haven't cracked it open all this time. It's a good read eh?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Greybriar

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 13, 2013, 07:46:57 PM
Hitler dies at the end.

LOL

I bought a paperback copy of it back in the 1960s and used for a reference. That copy was lost over the years so I purchased a hardback copy of it a few years ago that I haven't even opened yet.

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Toonces

Quote from: Gusington on July 13, 2013, 07:33:20 PM
I have an ancient copy of it that my Grandmother of all people gave me like 30 years ago. Haven't cracked it open all this time. It's a good read eh?

Well, I put off buying it for a while.  I browsed a copy at Borders years back and what I was looking for was a history of the ETO in WW2, which 3rd Reich isn't.  It seems to have stuff about the war in it, but the first half of the book is about Hitler's rise to power.

Now then, I did eventually get it and I was surprised at just how interesting the period between WW1 and WW2 is regarding Germany.  If you're like me, you sort of wonder how in the world a maniac like Hitler managed to rise to power.  If you think about it, it's kind of fundamental to understanding WW2 at all.  So in that sense, the book is great because it walks you through how it happened, and includes a ton of biographical information on Hitler as well.

It's a really long book and it's kind of bulky and heavy, so a Kindle version is ideal.  I very highly recommend it, especially at only $2.  Seriously, if you really want to understand WW2 I think it's almost required reading.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

The rise of Hitler can make anyone doubt the effectiveness of democracy. Besides the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the election of Hitler as German Chancellor and the events leading up to it are truly tragic.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

The book is a classic that has stood the test of time (50 years).

mirth

Quote from: airboy on July 13, 2013, 10:46:32 PM
The book is a classic that has stood the test of time (50 years).

+1 I have a copy and re-read it every few years.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus