Why I'm Glad the Liberals Aren't in Power

Started by MIGMaster, March 16, 2012, 06:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

So you don't think that the nation on earth with the longest (maybe 2nd longest??) Arctic coastline should have icebreakers in its Navy?  Really?

Personally I'd like to see at least 2 RCN icebreakers.  I'd also like to see some functioning subs, even nuke-powered.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the current ship building contracts affected, but I do concur with the Liberal Senator's point regarding navy icebreakers.
Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

I think your problem is that everyone's making it an either-or proposition, when it clearly needs to be some of both.

And 40Cent - I thought Canada had some subs.  Was I mistaken?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Centurion40

Note that I said "functioning" subs.  I can lean out my cubicle and stare at one up on scaffolding.  I think that other is in the sub house.  I don't know where the third one is.

Now look at a map of Canada and see all the water that touches us.  Yep, we've got 3 subs and only one of them might be functioning at the moment.

Thank you USN for helping to keep the Bear at bay.
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote"Issues are going to be settled in the Arctic through diplomacy and with lawyers," Kenny said in an interview Thursday. "We're not going to go to war up there.

He's right - until the Ruskies decide that they aren't content with the offers on the table. Then they'll simply sail over and take whatever they want by fiat.

At least that guy is correct in one respect: something is dumb. Unfortunately it happens to be him.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Centurion40 on March 16, 2012, 07:35:47 AM
Yep, we've got 3 subs and only one of them might be functioning at the moment.

And as far as I know none are able to fire Canadian torpedoes! One of our subs was even purchased with its torpedo launch doors welded shut. Even the Brits are saying that we should ask for our money back.  :o

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/03/15/ns-british-mp-questions-sub-deal.html
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

LongBlade

Quote from: Shelldrake on March 16, 2012, 08:26:44 AM
One of our subs was even purchased with its torpedo launch doors welded shut. Even the Brits are saying that we should ask for our money back.  :o

Think of it as a safety lock. You wouldn't want the kids to take it out for a joyride while you were napping or anything.

Steelgrave

I don't know where the third one is.

Heh, isn't that the purpose of owning a sub? Just sayin'  ;D

LongBlade

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 16, 2012, 08:43:36 AM
I don't know where the third one is.

Heh, isn't that the purpose of owning a sub? Just sayin'  ;D

I was thinking the same thing, but had other snarky thoughts to toss out first ;)

Shelldrake

Quote from: Centurion40 on March 16, 2012, 07:09:44 AM
So you don't think that the nation on earth with the longest (maybe 2nd longest??) Arctic coastline should have icebreakers in its Navy?  Really?

Personally I'd like to see at least 2 RCN icebreakers.  I'd also like to see some functioning subs, even nuke-powered.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the current ship building contracts affected, but I do concur with the Liberal Senator's point regarding navy icebreakers.

Ideally I would like to see armed icebreakers patrolling the Canadian Arctic but what are the chances of that?!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell