[closed] Llamaserver is up for Dom 4!

Started by Yskonyn, November 18, 2013, 03:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Last update: Dec 4th 2013

Let's try again!! The first Grogheads Dominions 4 multiplayer PBEM game is now ready to get going! Llamaserver is now accepting new Dom 4 games, so we are golden! I have created this new thread to flush the info from the old and get a new tally on who's in and wants to join still!
Below are the settings we are going to use, some are up for discussion.
Taking random nations is still something I would like to go-ahead with (perhaps with a system to reroll if you really don't want the nation you got), but as the flavour of most nations is still intact I can see why some would rather want to pick a specific nation.
Let's discuss!

Host:PBEM Llamaserver. Link will follow
Map: TBD
How Often on Turns: start with 24h interval. Adjust as needed.
Number of Players: the more the merrier
Mods: None

Non-Standard Settings: Hall of Fame entries 15, Renaming is allowed, No graphs (up for discussion)
Victory Conditions: Last one standing + Thrones? (up for discussion)
Diplomacy Policy: None; do as you wish, keeping in mind consequences in future games, as well as later in that game (if you stab someone early, any alliance later in that game is likely to prove less trustworthy). Trades should be fulfilled
Cheesy Tricks: New players won't know them and won't be ready for them. This is things like sending 50 bad items to someone right as they put up forge of the ancients to make them waste gems; using scouts to constantly siege someone's fortress; and there are probably a few others I historically read about but have since forgotten.

NATIONS (xx)
Yskonyn:

Note1: The hosting time limits are slightly indicative, but we are pressed to make them whenever possible. In other words; if you can't make the turn limit, be sure to post in this thread to let me know in advance so I can extend the time in the llamaserver.
Better yet is sending me an email, which you have gotten in a PM.
I have an irregular working schedule with stops abroad sometimes, so I might put in the odd request for a few more hours/days as well. I hope we can all be flexible about this. If not, then please say so up front.

Note2: (By Lung Drago) I do not expect to meet problems regarding using of exploits that I stumbled upon reading on these forums. But just for the record, I dislike such behavior. Stay fair, people. If you cannot swallow a defeat, then you will be a newbie forever. In spirit of my previous sentence, please do not go AI after a single major battle lost
I will keep this fist post updated with status changes and info as it comes through.

Note3: Remember to keep an eye on the turn interval. I will update changes in interval in this thread.
Be sure to report EARLY if you will not be able to send in a turn in time.
WE CANNOT USE THE ROLLBACK FEATURE! Due to possible savegame corruption.
(Thanks to 3V4JKZ2 for the above format  )

Note 4:
I want to put a very good project into the spotlight made by a player called momfreak.
Mod Inspector (works with Dom 4 files!)

This webpage enables you to select some mods that you will be using for the game and then display accurate information about all the spells and items in the game.
You can also view the stock vanilla game data with this webpage.
Super handy as reference. Works for Dom 4 as well!

Note 5: When the game is setup you will all need to send your pretender to Llamaserver.
You can send your pretender file as an attachment to: (Put in the name of the game in the title, leave the body empty)

pretenders@llamaserver.net

You can find your pretender file in your Dominions 3\savegames\newlords folder.
it has a file format <era>_<nation>_0.2h

It will overwrite and old pretenders for the same era/nation.

After all the pretenders have been sent in the game can be kicked off and you will receive your turns in the mail.
Just send your turn back to turns@llamaserver.net (probably just reply to sender)

Only send in the .2h file. The .trn file is only sent by Llama to YOU.

For a FAQ on Llamaserver go here: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35160

OLD POST for reference :
So ladies and gentlemen, here we are at the doorstep of a new era in Dominions gaming!
As per currently available information the game will be released at the end of August. Not too long to go anymore and in order to ramp up the anticipation some more I would like to host the very first Groghead Dom 4 inaugural multiplayer game.
Let's make this massive, and any and all are welcome to join in this orgasm of magic, deceit and warfare! *bombastic music playing*

Reserve your nations already to be ready when the game hits! It will go on a first come first serve basis. The game will be set in the MA to have a (hopefully good) compromise between the new magic and the new normal grunts.

A map will be chosen later, or -if we already know old maps will still be compatible- place your vote for the battlefield right now.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Wingedflamez

I would like to do a LA game. I've got a couple of MA games going already.

EDIT:  Nevermind. I would like to put my vote on EA. Also, what about turning the score graphs on?

CptHowdy

ill vote for EA as well. I'd also go for last one standing. thrones gives some good bonuses and if you control a lot of them you will probably be the last one standing anyway so no need to make it a victory condition. I also vote random nations since I don't think everyone playing will be a newb. not sure about graphs, I don't use em even when playing solo so not sure what info can be gleaned from them and how advantageous it would be. ill go with the majority on that one.

elitesix

I think four five important decisions need to be made that will determine the type of game we're running:

1) The era. I prefer MA or LA. Edit: Actually, I like all three eras!

2) nation selection method. I strongly prefer non random selection.

3) victory conditions: I strongly prefer requiring 50-60% of the thrones for victory, with a low overall throne count - 5/10 or 6/11. This is so the game finishes in 3-4 months instead of 6-7.

4) map size. I strongly prefer 14-16 provinces per starting player - basically a medium map size - basically so that the micro on late game turns is bareable.

Edit:

5) map type. I strongly prefer wraparound maps so that everyone has similar starts and there are no "corners"

Yskonyn

If its only four of interested I won't start. I remember much more people being rather psyched for Dom 4... weird!
Jason, Huw, UG, Nef (to name a few) where are you all at?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

elitesix

I'd say we need to aim for 8 to have a decent game.

Yskonyn

Yes, or we can do an experiment and go 2vs2.
But I prefer a bigger FFA game.

elitesix

In retrospect, I think the pace of MP games is an indicator of interest. The MP games on grogheads seem to have been substantially slower than on desura or other forums.

So perhaps in a way it's no surprise there's limited interest for dom4 here. C'est la vie.

Yskonyn

Yes I think you might have a good point.
I'll give it another week and otherwise consider the deal done and tag the thread as closed.
I'll move up to the Desura boards then and see to get something started over there.

BTW Are the Desura boards the new hot place to be for the community? Or are the Shrapnel forums still used as well? Is the community split up or pretty much consolidated? Haven't peeked my head in there too much as I've found certain infividuals over at the Shrapnel forums unpleasant in the past.

elitesix

Desura is on fire. Dom4 is like one of the top 5 games out of 1600+ on there.

Chelubey

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 22, 2013, 03:37:39 PM
BTW Are the Desura boards the new hot place to be for the community? Or are the Shrapnel forums still used as well? Is the community split up or pretty much consolidated? Haven't peeked my head in there too much as I've found certain infividuals over at the Shrapnel forums unpleasant in the past.

Shrapnel is no longer used, there are barely a few new threads there.
Actually whole shrapnel dominions' forum (dom3 and dom2) are going to be removed after a while.
As far as I remember there was discussion about that somewhen on last winter, and it was told that there was some agreement to left it as is for one more year.
That is if you have something intresting for you on Shrapnel - it makes sense to create offline copy.

Dom3mods is not very active, but I'm sure it will likely remain since it has very devoted community. (And dom3mods occupies the nice for modders/elite players).

So Desura appears to be the main and the core place for Dominions.

Chelubey

Quote from: elitesix on November 22, 2013, 04:57:46 PM
Desura is on fire. Dom4 is like one of the top 5 games out of 1600+ on there.

Do you refer to rating of some kind? How to look it?
I would be interested to somehow monitor dom4's success among desura.

elitesix

It's in the bottom right hand of the dominions 4 front page on desura:

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions

Currently dropped a bit, 9 of 1824 games!

Currently, dom3 is 71 of 1824! Both very popular games on desura!

Chelubey

It is still 5th (according to what I see there):
However ("Last Update 2 weeks ago")

Rank
5 of 1,838
Visits
369,506 (3,380 today)
Last Update
2 weeks ago
Watchers
688 members
News
Reviews

Yskonyn

Ok guys, no further interest has been shown. I consider this thread to be closed. Thanks to those who wanted to join!
We will certainly meet again.