Gunner, HEAT, PC (new tank game/sim-lite)

Started by hellfish6, May 06, 2020, 04:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bardolph

New version of the demo out.
https://gunnerheatpcdev.itch.io/gunner-heat-pc-development-test-build

Not sure how much was changed but there is a changelog when you start it up. I skipped that to get to the exploding part.  ;D

Skoop

Haven't looked too closely at this but at a glance it's not any better than steel beasts.  If they are going sim lite, I'd focus on game play like immersive campaign system like m1 tank platoon. 

To be frank, after delving into high fidelity flight sims, having to sim lite ground vehicles is laughable.  There's nothing in steel beasts that seemed too complicated to learn.  I think it was more accessibility with the drm, pay for updates, and limited sp focused content is what scares people away.  But I see nothing here yet that's going to get me to give up my dongle....yes I said it..... lol

hellfish6

The GHPC devs have stated from the start that they're not attempting to compete with Steel Beasts. If anything, I think they're going for something between War Thunder (free, but to get anything modern you have to invest time or money and exclusively multiplayer matches) and Steel Beasts (which has an expensive entry point and isn't a game). I think it fits in closer to M1 Tank Platoon 2 than anything else. In concept, anyways.

I love Steel Beasts but it isn't fun made to be fun. GHPC's design philosophy is for it to be fun first.

Toonces

^ That's a good way of putting it.  Steel Beasts is a good simulation, but I've never played it and found it to be fun.  Like, it's not entertaining in that way.

Different things for different audiences.  I certainly wouldn't mind some streamlining of the details if there is a good game in there.  Of course, that's just old man Toonces talking.  I'm finding it increasingly difficult to want to invest the time in true study sims anymore.  25 years ago?  Sure.  Now, I just would prefer to skip the BS and have fun.

There is a sweet spot for me...probably "sim-lite" or some such term.  Probably a good topic for a future thread...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

hellfish6

Yeah, I've been eyeballing the DCS F/A-18 for a few years now, but whenever I'm about to pull the trigger I recall that I don't even have the patience or time to learn any of the aircraft that actually come with the game.

And it's not a simple matter of looking up how to do something in the manual either, because to even get to the point in the manual where you're looking up how to select and lock on an AIM-9, you've had to spend much more time learning what switches to flick to start the engine, how to get in the air, how to navigate, etc. Every time I play DCS I spend more time reading than I do playing - and the tutorials are often TERRIBLE.

Admittedly Steel Beasts isn't nearly that complicated, and to drive and shoot an Abrams you don't really need to do much (and the controls are fairly intuitive) but there is other stuff in games that I like besides crossing an LD at 0545, bounding for 10km, and getting zapped by a T-90 from 5000m because you edged a little too close to the military crest.

Sometimes I just wanna blow shit up, ya know, and not worry about teamkilling or vengeance kamikaze Me-109s (looking at you, War Thunder)

Skoop

I here you, I learn dcs modules back wards.  I air start or auto start cheat and only learn the weapons and radar just so I can go right to blowing stuff up.  Usually that's enough to get me exited to go back and learn some of the non combat systems as I'm blowing stuff up, then after a couple weeks I fully know the aircraft top to bottom. 

hellfish6

Bardolph

Excellent. Been meaning to try the latest demo, will wait till tomorrow now.

hellfish6

al_infierno

On Youtube, click the Share button to get a shortened link that looks like this:  https://youtu.be/934kE1-L7xY

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

idk, kinda boring looking at green hue thermal sights all the time.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Destraex

Gunner Heat PC now has a steam page and is scheduled for release in Summer 2022. Although you may still be able to get the free demo that has been out for a while off the website. The game is a fusion of simulation and accessability. Infantry is planned as is a coop mode. Could this replace the hardcore modern tank simulator - steel beasts pro PE (which originally came with an encryption usb key that had to be plugged in while the game was played). Time will tell...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1705180/Gunner_HEAT_PC/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

bobarossa

Quote from: Destraex on December 26, 2021, 06:30:07 PM
Could this replace the hardcore modern tank simulator - steel beasts pro PE (which originally came with an encryption usb key that had to be plugged in while the game was played). Time will tell...
You mean it doesn't still require a........dongle?

Hehe, I just tried to delete a speck of food from my computer screen while typing!!!!