Micropose Announced Bomber Games

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 26, 2022, 08:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Some reason I think this might have been said in the past, but not 100% sure as couldn't find...but  if not, looks like Microprose releasing a number of "bomber" related games, including a version for VR.  Didn't appear to be any idea as to when this all might happen.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/microprose/announcements/detail/3413191463107311953

B-17 Flying Fortress The Bloody 100th

B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th Redux

The Mighty Eighth VR

Bomber 3

ArizonaTank

This is all good stuff.

But I am kind of confused about having so many B-17 games. They seem to overlap. Why not mix it up a bit? Medium bombers? or British night bombers? or at least B-24.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

Four B-17 games?

I mean, that's cool.  My Grandfather flew the B-17 so it's got a special place for me, but that's a lot of concentration on one airframe.

I would think a full reboot of the Mighty 8th could cover those in one package. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Yeah...I'm not so thrilled with the announcement either and find it a bit underwhelming.

I guess a redux of the Mighty 8th could be really cool, but only if it is really updated to modern standards. It is not really clear to me exactly what the Bloody 100th is, or where it fits in in terms of content. The VR title seems to be a disappointment as it is billed as a MP only experience. I was really looking forward to the VR title, but with MP only, it seems limited and a missed opportunity. Bomber 3? Great...a port from the early 90s.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

yeah, I am not expecting a whole lot, although a good bomber title (if it ends up good) is something I would enjoy.  Why they decided to create so many variations is a little puzzling, especially announcing it all at the same time, just makes it hard to understand.  I suspect we have quite a wait before if/when any of it actually gets released so will continue to monitor with guarded hopefulness.

Gusington

I never had a chance to play any of the original B-17 games so I am more excited about these if any turn out to be solid.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

What even is "Bomber 3"? (I'm not where I can check the Steam page yet.) JH says a port from the early 90s: is it more just a strategic bombing campaign game (like Eagle Day / Bombing the Reich and that other Matrix game in the same vein)?  ???

I suppose the point to doing Mighty Eighth as well as Bloody 100th, rather than combining the two, is that the engine between the two will be very different so that some people will prefer the old engine and some the new. (I liked the old game a lot but it was too buggy for me to really get into it. I don't recall which one my Granduncle John flew for tho.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 26, 2022, 11:02:33 AM
What even is "Bomber 3"? (I'm not where I can check the Steam page yet.) JH says a port from the early 90s: is it more just a strategic bombing campaign game (like Eagle Day / Bombing the Reich and that other Matrix game in the same vein)?  ???

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2142920/Bomber_3/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Okay, home now where I can check on it: it's an action-game with light sim (and maybe rpg) elements. Understandably for a different market with overlapping interests.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

So if they fully remaster Mighty 8th to possibly a semi modern graphical standard, can we also have Pacific and European Air War too?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on October 26, 2022, 07:52:42 PM
^You shut your whore mouth!!

The tantalizing prospect too much for you in case it never happens?

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 26, 2022, 10:00:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 26, 2022, 07:52:42 PM
^You shut your whore mouth!!

The tantalizing prospect too much for you in case it never happens?

Unfortunately all the rights are held by different people so it's somewhat irrelevant legally whether they do an amazing Mighty Eighth remake or not. Could always do a spiritual successor to any of those of course. And I'll throw 1942 The Pacific Air War into the ring- still somehow the last great Pacific air combat sim even today.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on October 27, 2022, 06:50:42 AM

Unfortunately all the rights are held by different people so it's somewhat irrelevant legally whether they do an amazing Mighty Eighth remake or not. Could always do a spiritual successor to any of those of course. And I'll throw 1942 The Pacific Air War into the ring- still somehow the last great Pacific air combat sim even today.

I keep forgetting this is basically a new company. 

I haven't looked into the legalese of all of this, but they were apparently able to acquire at least enough rights to Mighty 8th to do a remaster. 

Maybe they can do the same with PAW and EAW?  Who owns them?

Maybe the Admiral can shed a bit of light on things here on where these new B-17 games stand and what chances we might have for some more WW2 simming not named IL 2 (No knock against IL2 and the thousands of hours I have in it).