Harry Harrison passes away

Started by Staggerwing, August 15, 2012, 08:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Harry Harrison passed away today. He was the author of 'Make Room Make Room', which was the inspiration for Soylent Green, as well as the Stainless Steel Rat series. He wrote Alt History, Fantasy, Hard Scifi, you name it. I'll just link the wiki section with his bibliography because copying and pasting it here would just choke your browsers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Harrison#Bibliography

My favorite is the three part 'The Hammer and the Cross' series which posits a different English history diverting in approximately 865AD when a young man named Shef finds himself in the middle of the Vikings' Great Army as it lands in Southeast England.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

I read the Stainless Steel Rat and at least a couple others in the series. Harrison was a very interesting writer. His passing is sad news indeed.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bob48

Another great writer gone. I loved the Stainless Steel Rat stories, and that great spoof novel, Bill the Galactic Hero.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

Quote from: bob48 on August 16, 2012, 02:10:28 PM
Another great writer gone. I loved the Stainless Steel Rat stories, and that great spoof novel, Bill the Galactic Hero.

All Hail Bill! Great fun novels. I read all the Stainlees Steel Rat novels. His West of Eden trilogy was a good read too.

He will be missed......

Staggerwing

He also had an alt-history series about a war between the USA, CSA, and Great Britain set in during the US Civil War, called 'Stars and Stripes Forever/Stars and Stripes in Peril/Stars and Stripes Triumphant'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

I need to read a lot more of his stuff. Don't know why I didn't when I was younger and reading a ton of sci-fi.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Shelldrake

Damn. Sorry to hear of HH's passing. The Deathworld books were some of my favorites back in the day. RIP Harry.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

airboy

Hammer and the Cross was excellent.  Stainless Steel Rat was a good concept, but became formulaic pretty fast.