Shrapnel Games Sale - Are You Kidding?

Started by tgb, November 07, 2012, 10:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

While checking out the sale I came across this.

Here's my favorite part:

QuoteWhere we are with All American: The 82nd Airbone in Normandy.
Remaining:    ♦    Rework of multiplayer to allow compatibility with Vista.
   ♦    Voices are being re-recorded after changes to scripts.
   ♦    Re-evaluating art for maps.
   ♦    Changing 3 missions.
Beta:       No projection
Release:       Projected for 2009

Last update: August 2008.

Al

That ranks right down there with Combined Arms: WWII (Formerly Battlefields) at Matrix.  Here'e the oldest post date i could find.

"Battlefields 2/24 Update! - 2/24/2003 10:22:29 PM"

They can look forward to celebrating the 10-year anniversary of no game next February.     ::)
Al

tgb

Yes, but Matrix doesn't take pre-orders.  I didn't try, but I'm guessing I could have put $$ down on a copy of the Shrapnel title.

Huw the Poo

Space6ghost

Quote from: Al on November 07, 2012, 11:02:27 AM

That ranks right down there with Combined Arms: WWII (Formerly Battlefields) at Matrix.  Here'e the oldest post date i could find.

They can look forward to celebrating the 10-year anniversary of no game next February.     ::)

You can actually go back farther. I remember this game in development wayyyyy back at the turn of the century. Yep the year 2000. LOL!!! 8)
I pay full price for Paradox games, deal with it snowflakes.

LongBlade

Quote from: Space6ghost on November 07, 2012, 02:15:37 PM
Quote from: Al on November 07, 2012, 11:02:27 AM

You can actually go back farther. I remember this game in development wayyyyy back at the turn of the century. Yep the year 2000. LOL!!! 8)

Its roots don't go quite back to DOS do they? This would put it in the Win 98/ME era, right?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

I think you're in the ballpark on that one LB. I remember requesting a review copy in 2000, I believe....

I did an interview with Tim Brooks around that time as well.... Interesting guy with some neat ideas, unfortunately Shrapnel seemed to be less active as time progressed...

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on November 07, 2012, 07:30:13 PM
I think you're in the ballpark on that one LB. I remember requesting a review copy in 2000, I believe....

I did an interview with Tim Brooks around that time as well.... Interesting guy with some neat ideas, unfortunately Shrapnel seemed to be less active as time progressed...

Production is all but ceased there from what I hear. I hope I'm wrong.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I won a contest to have my face and voice appear as one of the characters in the game.  That was back in '98 or '99.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 07, 2012, 07:37:18 PM
I won a contest to have my face and voice appear as one of the characters in the game.  That was back in '98 or '99.

Well, I guess that explains it then...

(j/k ;))
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

I think I found it!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 07, 2012, 07:43:27 PM

Well, I guess that explains it then...

(j/k ;))

You mean that group of peasants with torches and pitchforks outside my window aren't my entourage?

Tpek

Then if the game is ever released, you'd end up as one of those people who "communicate" with a video recording of their 15 years younger selves :P

LongBlade

Quote from: Tpek on November 08, 2012, 09:24:21 AM

Then if the game is ever released, you'd end up as one of those people who "communicate" with a video recording of their 15 years younger selves :P

At the current pace of development he may be the first geriatric paratrooper on active duty.

airboy

Back to the original sale - Dominions 3 is an excellent game.  Amazingly deep.  Runs on a ton of systems.  Graphics are primitive.