What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Tempting SDR. But I am already being taxed to death in New York. Perhaps I can shack up with you and send the money home?

Crack Shack or Mansion rules btw. I got 12 of 16 correct. Perhaps I should just set up shop in Vancouver as a realtor?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on April 18, 2012, 09:37:22 AM
Tempting SDR. But I am already being taxed to death in New York. Perhaps I can shack up with you and send the money home?

Puh-lease. You are not "being taxed to death."

You're spreading the wealth around.

Get with the program.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MIGMaster

I just started reading On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. Very interesting so far.....

Pinetree

Quote from: LongBlade on April 17, 2012, 10:50:35 AM
Quote from: MIGMaster on April 17, 2012, 10:44:54 AM
Once they devise a transporter unit imagine all the free time people will have.

IIRC that's what they said about computers. And cars. And airplanes. And telephones...

Yeap, the bastards will just pile more work on.

I've started A Dance with Dragons having just gone through books 1-4. I'm really enjoying it so far.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Okay, I not only read Galaxy in Flames, I also plowed through the 2nd game in the Hunger Games trilogy. Galaxy was excellent. From what I understand, it ends the sort of 3 book intro arc, and from here on in each book is more of an individual story within the whole of the Heresy. And I actually liked Catching Fire more than Hunger Games, which I thought was okay.

Next up is the 3rd and final book in the Guillermo Del Toro/Chuck Hogan vampire trilogy, The Night Eternal. After that, I might start checking out the source book for the Outbreak Undead RPG...but I also have a lot of board game rulebooks I need to start going through.

Gusington

I'm going to start reading Hunger Games in about 5 minutes!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on April 19, 2012, 09:08:31 PM

Reading any other tweeny books? 

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on April 19, 2012, 09:40:42 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 19, 2012, 09:08:31 PM

Reading any other tweeny books?

For a while I was reading the Ranger's Apprentice series. I stopped reading after about book seven because I found I was buying the dang hardbacks at $20 because I couldn't wait for the paperbacks.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

OK so I'm about 50 pages into Hunger Games. It's aight. Waiting for my earth to be shattered by it. The Wife recommended it to me and she usually has very different taste in entertainment than I do. At a minimum all three books will not take very long to read.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

I picked up a used copy of "Flight of the Intruder" for 50 cents. Great airplane reading for my biz trip.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bob48

Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 20, 2012, 04:26:48 PM
I picked up a used copy of "Flight of the Intruder" for 50 cents. Great airplane reading for my biz trip.

Great book, made me go looking for A6 downloads for FS9
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

DoctorQuest

Quote from: bob48 on April 20, 2012, 05:03:57 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 20, 2012, 04:26:48 PM

Great book, made me go looking for A6 downloads for FS9

Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam with a cockpit mod from combatace.com.  8)

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Arctic Blast

And I'm done The Night Eternal. I really enjoyed this trilogy. Equal parts horror, medical thriller, character drama and alternate ancient/biblical history. Really, really well done.

Next up...hmmm...I've got 3 Space Marine omnibus collections to read : Ultramarines, Soul Drinkers and the second Blood Angels. Either one of those or a book about the insanity of ad agencies in the 70's that was apparently a source book for Mad Men. The title of the book is an actual slogan that was proposed for Panasonic in the 60's. Japanese electronics sold like hot cakes, but people didn't realize Panasonic was a Japanese company because their name doesn't sound particularly Japanese. So the suggested tag line to remind people of the company's heritage was :

From the People Who Brought You Pearl Harbor.