What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

republic

Lol I'm not sure why I waited so long.

I read all The Lost Fleet books.  It bothers me that "Blackjack John Geary" is too flawless.  And For the Honor of our Ancestors, the author uses certain phrases over and over lol

I really enjoyed RM Meluch's Merrimack series.  Also Alan Dean Foster's Pip and Flix and Louis McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga.

MetalDog

I'm with Starfury on both observations of Ender's Game.  And I would also recommend you stop there.  Otherwise, you will ruin a great sci-fi classic.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Have been rereading the "Celtic Crusades" trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead.  Currently, I'm a little over halfway through The Black Rood, the second book.  I sometimes forget just how much I love his conjuration of the medieval period. 

Quote from: MetalDog on November 05, 2012, 09:42:09 PM
I'm with Starfury on both observations of Ender's Game.  And I would also recommend you stop there.  Otherwise, you will ruin a great sci-fi classic.
So you'd recommend I stay away from Ender's Shadow and Shadows of the Hegemon

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

I was thinking Speaker For the Dead and Xenocide.  Not sure what the other two are.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Martok on November 06, 2012, 01:24:47 AM
Have been rereading the "Celtic Crusades" trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead.  Currently, I'm a little over halfway through The Black Rood, the second book.  I sometimes forget just how much I love his conjuration of the medieval period. 

Quote from: MetalDog on November 05, 2012, 09:42:09 PM

no no no no   the books are great!  its the movie thats going to suck.
So you'd recommend I stay away from Ender's Shadow and Shadows of the Hegemon?

the whole series is good but, like Dune, it gets long winded the further you get into it.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Arctic Blast

Finished the Lovecraft collection and am about half way through the second Blood Angels omnibus.

eyebiter

Just started The Founding - Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibus.

Gusington

I was just thinking that I could really go for some WH or WH40K reading. I may start the Vampire Wars omnibus soon.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

I felt it would be appropriate to read The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Arctic Blast

Tore through the Blood Angels 2nd omnibus...really good stuff. I've always been a fan of the Space Wolves, but I'm coming around to the Blood Angels chapter as I read about them.

Now it's on to the Savage Worlds : Agents of Oblivion setting book. You can run a full bore spies game, or bring in the supernatural, or do something more X-Files like, or mash it all together in any way you want to. Sounds intriguing.

W8taminute

Finished Mechanicum by Graham MacNeil last night.  What can I say, yet another book in the Horus Heresy series that is well written.  As with all the previous books in the series it tells another aspect of Horus' treachery in a gut wrenching and infuriating style.  Brilliant ending that saw my emotions go from hope, to despair, to outrage, and to hope again.

Picked up Tales of Heresy from Barnes and Noble last night but while I was there I read through some of:

http://www.amazon.com/Churchill-Prophetic-Statesman-James-Humes/dp/1596987758/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354807085&sr=1-1&keywords=churchill+prophetic

Excellent book.  I would have snatched this title immediately were it not for it's pricey tag in store.  It's cheaper as you can see on Amazon.  Maybe I'll ask Santa for this for Christmas.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

undercovergeek

Martok

Tolkien's Silmarillion.  This is only my second time reading it, and I'm noticing a lot more things now. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Arctic Blast

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 06, 2012, 11:29:59 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 12, 2012, 04:41:17 PM
Tore through the Blood Angels 2nd omnibus

they have their own book?

2 Omnibuses, actually. I believe each of those is 2 books, then some new short story material. Pretty good, actually. The Space Wolves, Ultramarines, Hammers of Dorn,  Soul Drinkers (though their stuff gets decidedly...weird...) and Salamanders all have their own series named for their chapters, too. Dan Abnett also did a single book following the Iron Snakes. And there are a bunch of one off books in the Space Marines Novella series (all have white covers) covering specific campaigns by others.

bob48

I'm just about to start R.Scott.Bakker's 'The White-Luck Warrior', which is book 2 in the 'Aspect-Emperor' set.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!