Gunner, HEAT, PC (new tank game/sim-lite)

Started by hellfish6, May 06, 2020, 04:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bardolph

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on September 07, 2022, 07:55:22 PM

AI seeing & shooting through vegetation is a deal breaker, as is the current AI pathfinding.

I posted this back in February 2021:

Quote from: Bardolph on February 03, 2021, 05:51:13 PM

While I was shooting at the BRDM I got knocked out by an AT missile from over 800m away through multiple tree lines and no obvious line of sight. Possible, I suppose, but given his first three shots went into the dirt 30 yards in front of him I don't think he's that good lol!

My crew was equally hardy though, they kept shooting during the brew up:

Good times.

Was hoping they would have toned that down by now.
Ah well, a work in progress.

The_Admiral

To me it is actually worth a buy, especially if you want to support them an found the Patreon system not to your liking. I am honestly a bit shocked by the tone of the Devs, I thought things were going a bit better considering the numbers I saw. It truly looked to me that Early Access was a natural and logical move, not an utmost necessity, funds-wise.

To quote him under said video

QuoteOuch.  This is hard to watch, because pretty much everything you said is correct, and it's stuff that I've been painfully aware of even as we press onward with Steam. 

There's been some feedback along the lines of "I don't know why they released this now, it needs another year".  Candidly, we're between a rock and a hard place.  The team has no angel investors, no publisher, no outside help except the awesome vets who have stepped up to provide research and advice.  We've scrounged and begged and made hard choices to get as far as we have, and it would not have been sustainable to remain a Patreon game much longer - as great as that support is, it's small change in the world of game dev.  In order to maintain creative integrity and keep people employed, we had to make a tough call: press the button, go to Steam, sink or swim. 

People have different standards for when a game is "finished enough" to earn a buy, and it's totally understandable that some see GHPC as falling short of that mark at the moment.  For others, the existing content and the hints of the future are enough to make that leap now.  Our great gamble is that there are enough of the second group to keep the lights on until we can eventually bring the first group around. 

Solid video as always.  I hope some day in the future to see a "GHPC - Why it's finally ready" video here.

At any rate sales of the Early Access thing should help them keep the project afloat quite well, it is by all standards doing very well (even conservatively, seems likely to me based on reviews numbers & the usual coefficients they have sold at least between 15 & 20k copies since release). They are doing some great work, they absolutely deserve to be supported if you're into tank stuff, but that is just my humble opinion ;)

SirAndrewD

Yeesh, yeah, I had no idea they had trouble on finance, but that's not surprising I guess with the small dev team.

As I said before and still do, this is an EA buy in to support the developers.  I can absolutely see where this game can go based on its state, but no it's not there yet.   I guess if it doesn't get support it's not going to get there. 

For my part I got my key for my prior support and am going to keep on the Pateron at a different tier.  Response has been good, but yeah, it's got huge teething issues that I think they can solve given time. 

I've seen a lot of EA games I had less faith in than this one. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Skoop

I would agree, operating an M1 is not that difficult in sb.  It might be the interface and price tag that scares people away.  I would wager if they modernized the interface of steel beasts and made a quick battle editor and sp campaigns, an MP browser, then sold it on steam for 49.99, it would be one of the most popular war games on steam.  I think esim does not care though, their focus is defense contracts.  We are lucky to get a consumer version.

ArizonaTank

Keeping an eye on this one. Sounds like it might need to mature a bit more for my taste. But I like where it seems to be going.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Skoop on September 08, 2022, 07:47:21 PM
I would agree, operating an M1 is not that difficult in sb.  It might be the interface and price tag that scares people away.  I would wager if they modernized the interface of steel beasts and made a quick battle editor and sp campaigns, an MP browser, then sold it on steam for 49.99, it would be one of the most popular war games on steam.  I think esim does not care though, their focus is defense contracts.  We are lucky to get a consumer version.

yes
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

This fell off my radar, but I was feeling spendy today and it popped up in my Steam feed so I took the jump.

I enjoyed Steel Beasts for what it is, but honestly I'm looking for something with a little more game to it these days.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Thought this discussion between the developer of Gunner, HEAT, PC! and Ssnake from eSim Games of Steel Beasts fame might be of some interest to some of you...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18