Scourge of war remastered

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 29, 2023, 08:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

New images posted, looking pretty good to me.....liking the graphics, terrain, and the toolbar.  More at the store page but a good enough sample.

JasonPratt

That's a reasonable gfx upgrade considering they don't seem to be changing the underlying engine per se. I'm much more interested in the AI, UI, and multiplayer upgrades. Plus any improvement in user-made campaign and map design: the playbase has always devotedly tried to do what they could with the system since back through the original Take Command days. The ability to use Steam for easy multiplayer would be money by itself!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

I need to see trees that do not ever draw in at a distance but are always in frame as far as the eye can see. I want to be able to survey the terrain like napoleon and identify cover and ar a distance see my troops enter it.
I also want to see a much more granular base tile terrain map. That is unless it is all hidden by undergrowth?

That would satisfy me as I am unaware of any ai issues, because I did not play the fame game enough. I'd want to play with friends if possible anyways.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

em2nought

Haven't played since First Manassas.  Accidentally missed pulling the trigger before they were withdrawn by one day. LOL  As far as I'm concerned the terrain could look like green felt for grass, and yellow felt for cornfields.  In fact, I kind of like when things look a bit like that, Second Front being an example sort of.  I particularly like my naval titles to look like I'm playing Avon Hill's Jutland on my blue/green bed sheet as I can barely make out units in some naval titles nowadays.  I liked the pale blue water textures Norm had in Distant Guns before he started getting feedback or teamed up with Jim Rose.

Red Baron 3D, now that was some improvement with Kessler's Promised Land. Made it much harder for me to kill the Frogs and Tommies, but it sure looked pretty.
Stolen elections have consequences.

Destraex

Quote from: em2nought on December 28, 2023, 04:38:30 AMHaven't played since First Manassas.  Accidentally missed pulling the trigger before they were withdrawn by one day. LOL  As far as I'm concerned the terrain could look like green felt for grass, and yellow felt for cornfields.  In fact, I kind of like when things look a bit like that, Second Front being an example sort of.  I particularly like my naval titles to look like I'm playing Avon Hill's Jutland on my blue/green bed sheet as I can barely make out units in some naval titles nowadays.  I liked the pale blue water textures Norm had in Distant Guns before he started getting feedback or teamed up with Jim Rose.

Red Baron 3D, now that was some improvement with Kessler's Promised Land. Made it much harder for me to kill the Frogs and Tommies, but it sure looked pretty.

I liked SES Jutland and the way it looked. It was consistent.

SOW Waterloo is not consistent. The way one low res 3D terrain block from the 90s that looks horribly blocky is used in conjunction with 2d sprites that look high res but flat means that for me men do not stand out against terrain well  AND that I have trouble making out terrain details at a glance. That is why I hope this upgraded one fixes that jarring effect of low res 3D against high res 2D sprites.

Anguille

I am interested even though I've never invested enough time in the original games.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Anguille on December 28, 2023, 06:26:16 AMI am interested even though I've never invested enough time in the original games.

Me too, I am glad they are releasing an updated version and plan to enjoy it for whatever it turns out to include versus worrying too much about what it doesn't improve....hopefully just the start of more enhancements to come and more material.  Wish it was already released, would be an instant buy for me.

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 27, 2023, 07:11:46 PMThat's a reasonable gfx upgrade considering they don't seem to be changing the underlying engine per se. I'm much more interested in the AI, UI, and multiplayer upgrades. Plus any improvement in user-made campaign and map design: the playbase has always devotedly tried to do what they could with the system since back through the original Take Command days. The ability to use Steam for easy multiplayer would be money by itself!
I agree.  While the AI was good, it could use some improvement.  I would like to see the regiments maneuvered more in accordance with "Hardee's Rifle & Light Infantry Tactics" manual.  This is not just for visuals, but because the current AI sometime has regiments inefficiently maneuvering  and/or presenting their flanks to enemy forces. I would especially like to have the game make it easier for the community to make maps and scenarios. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Grim.Reaper

Sounds like goal is to release early access in June according to developer....was hoping it was sooner, but at least a timeframe.

rss334

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 02, 2024, 06:06:23 PMSounds like goal is to release early access in June according to developer....was hoping it was sooner, but at least a timeframe.

I'm fighting the urge to go out and buy ultimate general American revolution, I keep going to back to grand tactician but long to have more control over the economy and behind the scenes war stuff.   I don't know of any other games that have decent battles and a complex back end.... 

Destraex

Quote from: rss334 on March 02, 2024, 07:21:12 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 02, 2024, 06:06:23 PMSounds like goal is to release early access in June according to developer....was hoping it was sooner, but at least a timeframe.

I'm fighting the urge to go out and buy ultimate general American revolution, I keep going to back to grand tactician but long to have more control over the economy and behind the scenes war stuff.   I don't know of any other games that have decent battles and a complex back end.... 
I have learnt from experience that I simply don't play games from other clients so I will wait for steam. My reason though is mainly one of ease of multiplayer and updates.

rss334

Quote from: Destraex on March 02, 2024, 10:26:33 PM
Quote from: rss334 on March 02, 2024, 07:21:12 PM

I have learnt from experience that I simply don't play games from other clients so I will wait for steam. My reason though is mainly one of ease of multiplayer and updates.

Very true, I have a couple outside of steam and I don't play them because I hate to manually update.  I watched a couple videos on UGAR & while I'm sure it will end up being a fine game I'm going to wait for steam release too.  Scourge of War was a good game before the remaster so we can only hope it gets the love by NORB it deserves.   Just found The American Revolution mod for empire total war, can't believe I never knew about it.  Kind of amazed how well empire graphics held up and with all the musket smoke now it's pretty cool, not sure how fleshed out the unit rosters are in the campaign but so far looks promising, something to keep my mind off UGAR & SOW until released.

Grim.Reaper

Although I understand that people might prefer Steam better than other clients, which is certainly total fine and their right to do so, UGAR will not have multiplayer capability and the update process is automatic within the game itself.  When you click on the client, it auto checks if a client update is available and applies it automatically.  And from the game standpoint, if there is an update, the "Play" button is auto changed to "Update" which you simply click on and the update is applied. Pretty straightforward.

Again, up to each person if they want to wait for Steam (or even participate in the early access), but for this particular game I don't think the reason people should be held back is because of multiplayer efficiencies (multiplayer is not available) and the update process (has its own built in update process).  Although I haven't completely immersed myself in the game, they update it frequently with minor/major patches and is appearing to come along nicely and has the ability to be one of the top games on the American Revolution, depending on what you like.

Since the last "major" patch in early February, they are currently working on:

Philadelphia campaign
Indian villages, units, and related mechanics
French and Spanish units and related mechanics
Quest generator.
Global map AI
Balance and events
Bug fixes and working with your feedback
Added mechanics for mercenaries from Indian tribes. You can hire Indian units in the border region if you have good relations with them.
Added flee button for naval battles on the global map
Further global map AI improves
A lot of work on the game content.