Micropose Announced Bomber Games

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 26, 2022, 08:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Some page The Admiral on the white courtesy phone.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Or you could shine the searchlight with his symbol on it into the night sky.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Does every admiral get one of those?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

He should. 

Sadly he'll just drop in here and be coy since all this stuff is probably Above Top Secret.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

The_Admiral

Well you know... So many things might happen. The issue being in our case is that we would probably not just make a full simulation based on our current work - graphics are good enough for a wargame, might be frowned upon in 2022 for a sim proper, and obviously we did make some concessions so that we could have 200 ships & 500 aircraft shoot at each other over several days to begin with, numbers which are only remotely needed for a sim which starts & end with your mission - but as for having something inside our game that allows you to enjoy the pleasures of flight, there's nothing preventing that.

Not everyone would perhaps. But me? I'd fly that  :coolsmiley:

As for the trademarks, it's the sort of quagmire I will not step in (especially considering that they aren't the same deal in Europe and in the US). But let's say that the affiliated studios at MPS work hard on what has been announced, and that's the reason why several games are announced at the same time to begin with - it should be obvious I guess that the tech is not always the same from a game to another, and nor are the team themselves - even though there is obvious useful overlap when it comes to assets (you don't have to make the cockpit of a B-17 twice). But as far as I can tell and unlike the practice of some other labels out there who come up with shiny trailers with no team actively working on said projects (sometimes ever...), we do not dwell into vaporware territory. If some of these titles were to become abandoned at some point, know they wouldn't be so before a good fight (that is, failed development, which can always happen, but development nonetheless).

SirAndrewD

Quote from: The_Admiral on October 27, 2022, 09:42:30 AM

Not everyone would perhaps. But me? I'd fly that  :coolsmiley:

Nah, that looks awful for a flight sim.  If I can squint and tell the difference from reality...pah!

I kid of course.  In honestly I'd do just about anything to have a Pacific sim that looked like that.

Again, I won't knock IL2.  It's possibly at this point the greatest sim franchise ever considering it's dominated the WW2 market at this point for what, 20 years?  But I'm itching to do some WW2 simming with something beyond that label and since no one's reviving Dynamix and Lucasarts sim division then help us Micropose, you're our only hope.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Heck yeah I'd fly that!

This brings up the question of whether it would be feasible and desirable for you to license assets to other MPS dev projects, or be included as co-devs, for a 1942 Pacific Air War sim.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

The_Admiral

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 27, 2022, 09:05:32 AM

Maybe the Admiral can shed a bit of light on things here on where these new B-17 games stand and what chances we might have for some more WW2 simming not named IL 2 (No knock against IL2 and the thousands of hours I have in it).

As for this, my understanding is that

- The 100th is B-17 III
- TM8 VR is designed so as to be the best VR & coop experience there can be, although my understanding is that it works also without VR, and without friends (but then just play the 100th)
- TM8 Redux is B-17 II remastered/updated
- Bomber 3 is a cool compatibility upgrade of a game design that is very little known, but is basically a computer stone age interactive movie experience flying B-17s (and IMHO would work very nicely on phones in 2022 but that's just me)

My main remark is that the two first are necessarily separated so as to offer the best experience of their own kind. Trying to achieve a good gameplay while packaging all together would mean concessions I wouldn't recommend as a consumer at that point - although those who have a small opinion of dev feel like they're being milked, making a game that does them all is a trap you don't recover from in the long run. It's not because a VR and a non-VR experience both run on the same computer that they can allow themselves to be designed exactly the same way (UI is its own nightmare). Doing so will cause frustration on at least one side, or more often simply both. I support this two-pronged approach.

Alright, that's a lot of B-17 stuff coming out at once, but the CEO is just very much in love with that side of the legacy, can we really blame him!  :hug:
Moreover it's not just for fun - my understanding is that if you want larger outlets to cover these niche games to begin with, either you do it the Slitherine way by making sure your next wargame is named Starship Troopers or Terminator, or you muster your forces and offer a large package that they cannot ignore (or at least might be interested in covering somewhat). It's not for the mere pleasure of torturing you all, that I can assure you :)

Gusington

Thanks Admiral. FWIW...I'd fly that too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

The_Admiral

Thank you Gus  :notworthy:
Although we both know you'd fly anything bearing a woman's name, wouldn't you  ^-^
Blessed be the allied intelligence naming convention for Japanese aircraft  :arr:

SirAndrewD

Quote from: The_Admiral on October 27, 2022, 10:12:35 AM
Although we both know you'd fly anything bearing a woman's name, wouldn't you  ^-^

Hold on now.  I'm the sexy one.

My boss calls me her "Camera seeking missile"

Gusington

I saw the admiral first! I have moments with Kates and Vals and the like, but a good Zero...hubba hubba.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

See, I told you. The searchlight works every time.  O0  I wouldn't date girls with the same name as Japanese airplanes. Because they shoot you down a lot.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on October 27, 2022, 12:14:10 PM
I saw the admiral first! I have moments with Kates and Vals and the like, but a good Zero...hubba hubba.

You know they called the Zero "Zeke"?

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd