Skies above the great war

Started by Grim.Reaper, July 05, 2023, 07:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

This looks interesting, out in November.  Combo of air war strategy/management and ability to control aircraft if you wish.  Although not sure how well the plane flying will go, interested just for the strategy side of things.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2320040/Skies_above_the_Great_War/

Gusington

'Hire manufacturers such as Fokker or Sopwith to produce airplanes' - that got my attention. Instantly wishlisted, cautiously optimistic. Thanks for posting.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Thanks for the heads up Grim.

p.s. in case y'all didn't notice, thee is a demo!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

JasonPratt

Step 1: hire Krupp to produce aircraft.
Step 2: produce flying cannons.
Step 3: win the war.
Step 4: profit?

(I vaguely recall that a Russian heavy bomber back then did try out a fairly punchy cannon for ariel mobility.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 05, 2023, 07:59:01 AMStep 1: hire Krupp to produce aircraft.
Step 2: produce flying cannons.
Step 3: win the war.
Step 4: profit?

How about this:
1) take a design from 1912, and fly it until 1919, despite its manifest shortcomings being widely known by 1915
2) Don't give your aircrew parachutes once they become available

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Aircraft_Factory_B.E.2
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Grim.Reaper

There is a kick starter for this as well.  Person is solo developer and so far hasn't developed much related to strategy and management portion.  So although I want to be optimistic, can't see all that being put in by November.  With that said certainly will be monitoring along the way.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 05, 2023, 08:11:57 AMThere is a kick starter for this as well.  Person is solo developer and so far hasn't developed much related to strategy and management portion.  So although I want to be optimistic, can't see all that being put in by November.  With that said certainly will be monitoring along the way.

+1 crossing fingers on this one.

Great idea.

Have seen a few other titles by solo devs just never happen...

Then again, some really good stuff has come from solo devs...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

There is a demo, but for me here in the eastern US the link to the demo goes to the same product page - I don't see a download button anywhere.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on July 05, 2023, 09:05:07 AMThere is a demo, but for me here in the eastern US the link to the demo goes to the same product page - I don't see a download button anywhere.

For me there is a button in the right column (almost next to the button for wish listing) on the main product page.

Gusington

^Nothing for me in that spot. Must be available only in certain locations around the world right now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

This looks really good!  Wishlisted  :cool:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

That looks deliciously different and intriguing. Waiting to hear whether Gus' loin moisten or just get a little damp.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Spent a couple of minutes with the demo and started up the campaign portion.  I like what I see.  Even got to try out flying a plane in combat.  Seems to be somewhat arcade like but for what this game is it's fun. 

Manufacturing is not enabled for the demo but pilot training is.  Yes pilot training is a thing. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

matt3916

Might want to try that demo again.  I'm US, Central Time, and just downloaded it.