Field of Honor -February

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 16, 2024, 09:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 21, 2024, 07:20:04 AM
Quote from: Destraex on January 21, 2024, 05:33:03 AMBoth are interesting but I find a lot of US wargamers never get to it because of the shadow the US civil war cast over it. I am hoping that Scourge of War Waterloo remastered becomes a staple for me.
Not only warfare either, the Napoleonic Wars involves Kings, Queens, Republics, Empires and more.

Just curious, how true is the reverse?  I would assume it is the same where most non-US gamers focus on non American Civil War games, so not sure that is all surprising.  With that said, I play plenty of war games beyond ACW, with World War II probably my second favorite conflict for wargaming.  But the same holds true for me.  I focus mostly on parts of the conflict where the United States was involved such as the West and care the least about things that happened in the East.  I still buy and try just about anything, but will always lean more towards enjoying things where I have more of a connection.  And certainly the Napoleonic Wars had it's unique leadership situations, but so did the ACW even if on a smaller scale with the generals and other leaders that lead the armies.

When gaming Ancient and Medieval times, of course then I am more open to playing different countries/factions as that was well before the birth of the United States where I don't have much of a connection.

In the end, I'll try just about anything, but will always put the ACW at the top of my list....
An interesting question. As somebody who has no skin in either wargame setting I can say that looking at it from outside that I objectively just look at Napoleonic wargaming in terms of variety and tactical interest. I think a lot of people outside the united states are into acw including myself and the developers of war of rights.
Conversely I do see a lot of peeps from the US with zero interest in one of the biggest conflicts of all time but 100% interest in the united states civil war. Not a study just an observation. I know a lot of guys on this forum are not like that. So it's not universal. I would presuppose that it mostly has to do eith what people know as one gent mentioned a few posts back.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

I prefer Napoleonics and I'm not only American but was a Civil War living historian for over ten years.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

This is of course why Crown of Glory (especially the Emperor's Edition) is far more detailed a game than Forge of Freedom:grin:

That said, for a Nappy game it doesn't seem to look as good, and I've never quite been able to get into it. I should try again, because I very much want to.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 21, 2024, 09:19:58 PMI prefer Napoleonics and I'm not only American but was a Civil War living historian for over ten years.

Please tell me you would arrive in Star Wars Imperial officer gear, change to Union or Rebel for the day, then change back into SWImpy costume to leave!  :Nerd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 21, 2024, 09:22:46 PMPlease tell me you would arrive in Star Wars Imperial officer gear, change to Union or Rebel for the day, then change back into SWImpy costume to leave!  :Nerd:

If I had a dime for every time someone asked me that.  :ROFL:

But no, and I've been out of the hobby almost as long as I was in.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback