Stealth jet is...stealthy

Started by steve58, September 18, 2023, 07:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Any SC grogs, be on the lookout for an F-35B Lightning II jet.

QuoteU.S. fighter jet's stealth abilities appear to be working too well, with authorities forced to ask the public for help finding an F-35 that went missing somewhere over South Carolina when the pilot ejected because of a "mishap."

Joint Base Charleston, an air base in North Charleston, said it was working with Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort to "locate an F-35 that was involved in a mishap" Sunday afternoon.

The pilot was able to safely eject from the aircraft, an F-35B Lightning II jet, and was taken to a local medical center in stable condition, it said in a Facebook post around 5:35 p.m. ET.

The jet was left in autopilot mode when the pilot ejected from the aircraft, so there's a possibility it could still be airborne, Jeremy Huggins, a spokesman at Joint Base Charleston, told NBC News over the phone.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/f-35-fighter-jet-missing-pilot-ejects-mishap-rcna105534

Odd.  If the jet was still flyable, why did he eject?  Perhaps the ejection system was the mishap?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Redwolf

Happens quite a bit. There are regulations telling you when to bail out that are rather narrow so that only the plane is lost, not the crew.

Keep in mind that successful flying is not the objective, it is successfully landing.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sigwolf

It's very odd that it wasn't tracked by radar.  Stealth or not, F-35's have transponders that would normally be on while flying in US airspace, even when operating in an MOA.

FarAway Sooner

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "We lost a plane today in the skies over South Carolina..."

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Sigwolf on September 18, 2023, 03:42:05 PMIt's very odd that it wasn't tracked by radar.  Stealth or not, F-35's have transponders that would normally be on while flying in US airspace, even when operating in an MOA.

depends on the training profile.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Redwolf

As long as they don't look in my garage that is all fine by me :D

steve58

Quote from: Sigwolf on September 18, 2023, 03:42:05 PMIt's very odd that it wasn't tracked by radar.  Stealth or not, F-35's have transponders that would normally be on while flying in US airspace, even when operating in an MOA.

Apparently the transponder was "not working properly".  I mean what do you expect for ~$75 million.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/09/18/f-35-fighter-jet-still-missing-south-carolina-after-pilot-ejected-sunday.html

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sigwolf

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 18, 2023, 03:50:01 PM

depends on the training profile.
Considering they just announced a 2 day stand down of all Marine aviation units, domestic and abroad, I'm guessing some procedures were not followed... or are about to be changed.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

steve58

nvm

steve58

QuoteA state law enforcement helicopter located the jet and debris around 5 p.m. Monday in a field near Indiantown, South Carolina.

The pilot "experienced a malfunction and was forced to eject" on Sunday at an altitude of about 1,000 feet just 1 mile north of Charleston International Airport, according to a situation report given to AP by the Marine Corps official.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2023/09/19/pilot-of-downed-f-35-parachuted-into-residential-backyard/

Redwolf

They should pin Apple AirTags on those things.

Jarhead0331

The most amazing 911 call I have ever heard. Had me laughing out loud at several points. It starts at 10:44 in this video.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18