Must Have Smartphone Apps

Started by TheCommandTent, August 28, 2014, 02:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

I just recently sold my sold and upgraded to a smartphone and now it is time to find some productive and not so productive apps for it.

So I am curious, those of you who have smartphones (mine has an android OS) what do you find to be the must have and best apps for the phone?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

GDS_Starfury

Google sky is fun.  Shazam for identifying music.  Kindle for books.  Iheart radio so I dont have to carry a box to job sites.  I also gave a decible meter and altimiter.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

DoctorQuest

Your phone may already have it but a good map app is helpful when travelling. My phone also came with a nifty compass app.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

GDS_Starfury

A flashlight app is useful.  For maps I havd google maps and Waze.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

bayonetbrant

Get a good email app, unless Gmail is your main thing.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

TuneIn for streaming music/radio. Possibly the best app I have.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MikeGER

...may sound trivial: but don't forget to put some 'bookmarks' of favorite websites direct on the display
(i most check 2 weather radars. one is from a weather site
but also one from a local radar station nearby itself, which has 5min increments and high res data of last hour http://www.meteo.uni-bonn.de/messdaten/radarbilder/aktuelle-bilder-1/az_100_z_ani ... as a physicist i like to study raw data from instruments ;))

a news app of your choice (don't use the news alert feature  ...they only nag also with BS-news about Brangelina n' such)

a TV schedule App

i have a different clock, which has also countdown timer alarms, (glue that has to half-dry before fixing items and such) 
and also let me use mp3s as alarm tones, and that can also be set to slowly rise the volume of those mp3.
(on vacation i use an ' environmental sound file' ...and wake up by chirping birds, church bell in the far distance, crickets and all natural sounds ...sloooowly getting louder and louder until i wake up)

also i have a sophisticated weather station as a hobby with indoor outdoor modules and even a rain-volume sensor
which 'talks and stores! to the internet' and i see all my data in two widget on the display
and with a fingertip the app opens up  and i get graphs of the history of all data. (https://www.netatmo.com/de-DE/produkt/wetterstation#view1) at home, but also abroad! (CO2 , temp, humidity  and median of noise level is measured indoor... i can define alarms on sensors, and could actually detect if someone has entered, also fire, or a water leakage)           

if you have boring waiting time to kill ...and don't want to do any other things
you should try Angry Birds and Candy Crush at least once ... its not as mindless/chilidish as it sounds when the puzzle get though in later levels (never use money to buy 'helpers' or 'more lifes' in those games ...never! Its a test of will :) )   

i have an app that reports prise of gas / fuel oil at filling stations nearby
(in Germany its insane atm: the price is jumping up an down about 15 cents or more daily at different hours and in different places...)

bayonetbrant

I should have mentioned that the app that probably gets more use on my phone than almost any other is Androminion.  I can't tell you how many conference calls I've survived because I could play Dominion on my phone instead of dozing off and cranking my head open on a desk/table.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Thanks guys.  I am downloading a number of those.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

GDS_Starfury

And all the free john tiller games.  Check the mobile games forum.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 29, 2014, 01:58:35 PM
And all the free john tiller games.  Check the mobile games forum.
Having a Windows phone sucks :(
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

More proof of your somewhat poor decision making abilities.    ;)

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 29, 2014, 03:52:45 PM
More proof of your somewhat poor decision making abilities.    ;)

"Hello, Kettle? Yes, this is Pot. Sorry but you need to hear this..."
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

Ditto on the flashlight app. I probably use that more than any other app on my phone.

Google Maps is great but can get bitchy, considering that it's still a Beta. I keep Mapquest next to it just in case.

Kindle reader for when you're bored.

Urbanspoon to help you find a decent place to eat nearby.

I also have news sites, games, etc..... but the above are my "go-to" apps which get the most use.

Oh and....Plants vs. Zombies. I downloaded it when I was visiting family and ended up buying a copy for my PC and even my wife plays it now.

GDS_Starfury

waze is way better then mapquest.  originally developed for the IDF.   O0