Gaming mouse recommendations?

Started by Crossroads, January 19, 2016, 01:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

I'm looking for a reasonably priced gaming mouses with say 6-12 programmable buttons. Macros would need to include key combos too, which most reviews neglect to mention whether possible or not...

So, what say you?  :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Huw the Poo

Mouse choice is quite personal really, but I would definitely urge you to check out Roccat.  I chose them because they support Linux, but as it happens the mouse I picked (Kova+) turned out to be a very nice mouse for a low price.  It has four buttons (besides the usual three) and one of those is a shift allowing for more combinations.  The build quality is very good and the scrollwheel feels absolutely perfect.  And yes, it supports macros along with game-specific profiles. :)

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post.  With regard to macros, I'm not sure whether it can record combinations - I've never messed with macros myself, but it seems to.  When I just tried recording one, it definitely recorded more than one key press and the length of time etc.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Bison

I use the Logitech G600.  12 programmable thumb buttons.  I've used the razor mmo naga too but the Danes things worked for a year or less.

Crossroads

Thanks guys! I forgot to say I use mouse with my left hand, so Kova+ certainly looks interesting. G600 looks like a real deal too, otherwise.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Bison

You'll have to be careful.  I'm not certain the g600 comes in a southpaw variant.  I think the naga does however.

Crossroads

Yeah, I think G600 is right hand only. Naga seems to have versions for both hands, but seems to be double the price of Kova+ and you said it broke after a year.

By itself? Or as a collateral damage to a gaming session gone wrong?  :knuppel2:

Crossroads

Naga does seem to have quite a few buttons though. Do you recall they take key combos?

JasonPratt

I adore my Redragon M601, which is the lowest-end version of their gaming mice. Most of their mice are ambi; but naturally the highest end with the 12 buttons on the side, is designed for righties. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a southpaw version of that, but Amazon doesn't list one. The mice are macro programmable, but I can't tell if that includes keyboard inputs. My guess is probably so, IF you're using the attendant software. The Amazon listings for the Redragon models are quite active, and if you post a question about extended macros there you'll probably get an answer.

Be aware that the mice are somewhat large and lo-slung, with a slightly gritty grip. You can adjust the relative weighting on even the M601, but naturally nothing can be done about the size and texture. I wanted a mouse large enough to not cramp my hand, but not humpy, and so this was a big factor in choosing the Redragon; and I find the texture enough to grab hold without causing friction abrasions. But somewhat that's a matter of taste.

Also, I'm not sure they build wireless. But their cords are REALLY nice, and I didn't want a wireless as I don't trust the inputs or having to faff with changing batteries at an inopportune moment.

The price for the quality, I found, could not be beat. I paid $14 for mine, and that model is currently $13; obviously the higher end mice will cost more. The 18-button Perdition currently runs $36.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bison

I know the naga keys are programmable, but offhand I don't recall if it does multiple keys.  Well I had mixed results.  I love the mouse.  The first one worked well for a couple of years and the just developed a really weird lag bug.  The second just upped and stopped working.  Their is a warranty but I want to say both times I was outside the window, so the second one must have lasted just over a year.

Bison

However the razor gaming pads are awesome!  It'd be tough for me to game on the of withou one now that I've used one for a couple years.

Crossroads

Thanks, I think I prefer a more traditional mouse. Naga looks intriguing.

Redragon I have not found from a local shop yet, looks neat too. Price is very good for sure.

Bison

I use the game pad in conjunction with the gaming mouse.  3 key binds on the pad plus the 12 thumb buttons on the mouse gives me 36 hot keys that involve nothing more than a pinkie and thumb click.

Crossroads

Which pad are you using exactly? I had a look at a few keypads, they look like you don't need the keyboard or a table much if at all then.  :)

Bison

Quote from: Crossroads on January 20, 2016, 01:00:10 AM
Which pad are you using exactly? I had a look at a few keypads, they look like you don't need the keyboard or a table much if at all then.  :)

Exactly.  I've moved from a lame computer chair to a lazy boy for my pc gaming.

I use the Tartarus, but the Orbweaver actually has more keys.

Crossroads

Quote from: Bison on January 20, 2016, 09:31:27 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on January 20, 2016, 01:00:10 AM

Exactly.  I've moved from a lame computer chair to a lazy boy for my pc gaming.

I use the Tartarus, but the Orbweaver actually has more keys.

Ha. Do you have a cup holder installed for your favorite bevvy too  O0  :smitten: