Major Websites Hit By Ransomware Malvertising

Started by mirth, March 16, 2016, 10:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

It is off on Grogheads and other sites. It's easy to tell that it is off because the little icon turns grey on sites where it's off.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on March 16, 2016, 07:37:02 PM
I also started using this recently - https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

I like that. I added it and it's running happily next to AdBlock Plus. Not on this site, of course.

DoctorQuest

I actually had something that seemed a lot like one of these hit my iPad. So much for Apple being invulnerable. I went to my phone and looked up the website I was being directed to and someone gave me the advice to clear my Safari cache. That worked.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 17, 2016, 07:16:34 PM
I actually had something that seemed a lot like one of these hit my iPad. So much for Apple being invulnerable. I went to my phone and looked up the website I was being directed to and someone gave me the advice to clear my Safari cache. That worked.

Loathe though I am to defend Apple, iOS is a Unix-like and is therefore inherently far more secure than Windows (although certainly not invulnerable - nothing is).  The malware that hit you targeted your browser, not your OS, as evidenced by the fact that clearing the cache solved the issue (which also shows how weak the malware was, in that it couldn't embed itself any further than a cache).

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 18, 2016, 01:29:20 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 17, 2016, 07:16:34 PM

Loathe though I am to defend Apple, iOS is a Unix-like and is therefore inherently far more secure than Windows (although certainly not invulnerable - nothing is).  The malware that hit you targeted your browser, not your OS, as evidenced by the fact that clearing the cache solved the issue (which also shows how weak the malware was, in that it couldn't embed itself any further than a cache).

Agreed. I just like to rag on Apple :)
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.