Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Spring Star Ship Sale

There's an update on its way to Star Citizen, so it's a great time to join the Persistent Universe. Take advantage of our discount starter pack and download Star Citizen for only $40 with your choice of either a Mustang or Aurora ship.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15836-Spring-Star-Ship-Sale

Spring 2947 Free Fly

This weekend from April 14th to April 18th we're giving everyone the chance to FLY FREE one of our flagship... ships, the Anvil Super Hornet.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15841-Spring-2947-Free-Fly

If you already have a Star Citizen account, you can log in and the ship will be available to you in all game modes.

mikeck

Again, sonething is worth whatever someone will pay for it. If people are willing to spend $18k on this package, then the pricing is right. I'm 100% a fan of cafeteria style DLC.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Hartford688

I never said charging $18k is wrong, or evil, or unethical, or blaming anyone. Just intriguing.

Anyway, sorry for posting unacceptable comments. I'll keep out of this thread and refrain from talking about Star Citizen from now on.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Hartford688 on April 15, 2017, 12:21:07 PM
I never said charging $18k is wrong, or evil, or unethical, or blaming anyone. Just intriguing.

Anyway, sorry for posting unacceptable comments. I'll keep out of this thread and refrain from talking about Star Citizen from now on.

Dude, chill out. Nobody said your comments were unacceptable. Why so butt hurt? Don't play coy though...your comments were obviously critical, and that's ok, but don't expect silence in response. You're more than welcome to continue posting here and I encourage it, but if you're too sensitive that's ok too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

I guess the thing I find most disappointing is that the game universe is already so impressive and the development team has accomplished so much and is clearly on the verge of breaking all sorts of boundaries and all anyone wants to talk about around here is how much some of the stupid game packages cost. You don't have to buy those packages to experience the game. You can buy an entry level Aurora for like $30 bucks.

It's a shame that the project is so overshadowed by the crowd funding and development delays, even after all the gains that have been made in the last year or so.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Fetrik

Personally i stopped view it as a instant buy when it was announced as a mmo. But i still enjoy reading Jarheads updates and have my fingers crossed with a wait and see attitude.

Toonces

Well, you have the average game selling for $60, and then you have a really nice piece of professional business software that goes for $500-1000.  Heck, even VBS is only a couple grand at most, right.

So then a game company comes out and says, yeah you can buy the complete version for $18,000, oh and that actually doesn't include all the DLC...

Sure, you don't have to buy that, but when that's the kind of money the game is throwing around, it's hard to not talk about it.  It's so far outside the paradigm it's like paradigm-creating.  Or shattering.  Or both.  It's kind of nuts man.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mikeck

Is there a "solo" mode or something like in Elite so I don't have to be in the gaming universe with humans? Or like Naval Action PvE server?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Quote from: Hartford688 on April 15, 2017, 12:21:07 PM

I never said you did. I was just stating my opinion that I didn't have an issue with the pricing of someone is willing to pay it

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on April 15, 2017, 09:09:23 PM
Is there a "solo" mode or something like in Elite so I don't have to be in the gaming universe with humans? Or like Naval Action PvE server?

There are solo modes in arena, which is free flight or dog fighting against AI opponents, but there is no solo mode in the PU.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on April 15, 2017, 09:08:27 PM
Well, you have the average game selling for $60, and then you have a really nice piece of professional business software that goes for $500-1000.  Heck, even VBS is only a couple grand at most, right.

So then a game company comes out and says, yeah you can buy the complete version for $18,000, oh and that actually doesn't include all the DLC...

Sure, you don't have to buy that, but when that's the kind of money the game is throwing around, it's hard to not talk about it.  It's so far outside the paradigm it's like paradigm-creating.  Or shattering.  Or both.  It's kind of nuts man.

Eh, I spent somewhere around $120 on it many, many years ago in its very first crowdfunding run and haven't thought about it much since then.  Never even loaded a version.

Not planning on dropping more.  I'll play it one day when it's "complete" probably when I've retired, and after I've put more than 1000 hours into Elite Dangerous.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 16, 2017, 12:51:20 AM
Quote from: Toonces on April 15, 2017, 09:08:27 PM

Eh, I spent somewhere around $120 on it many, many years ago in its very first crowdfunding run and haven't thought about it much since then.  Never even loaded a version.

Not planning on dropping more.  I'll play it one day when it's "complete" probably when I've retired, and after I've put more than 1000 hours into Elite Dangerous.

Star Citizen is going to surpass Elite in the very near future. The tech is there, they just need tie it all together now, which they are doing at very rapid pace. I strongly encourage you to load SC now since you already have a flight package and see for yourself. I'm certain you'll be impressed. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Jarhead I have invested in about 5 ships in SC. But I have not downloaded it for over at least 3 months because it is not optimised enough to be smooth enough NOT to annoy me yet. Has that changed for gunfights or spacefights?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

trek

I joined SC about 18 months ago. I've bought two ships and some additional weaponry. I estimate I've got about $250-300 invested in the game. Never thought I'd do anything like this for a game, but somehow how for me personally I think it is worth being part of something of this magnitude and I'm enjoying watching the entire development process unfold.

On the con side I wish they would implement a proper patch updater so you don't have to re-download the entire damn game every time they bring out a new version.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: trek on April 16, 2017, 10:04:03 AM

On the con side I wish they would implement a proper patch updater so you don't have to re-download the entire damn game every time they bring out a new version.

Are you sure this is still the case? For instance, I don't believe I had to download the entire game to upgrade from 2.6 to 2.6.1, to 2.6.2, or to 2.6.3.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog