Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

The Cutlass Black, anything in the Avenger line and anything in the Aurora line. They all balance fire power, cargo space, jump capability
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Thanks! Any clear winner in that list?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Not really, but my preference would be either the Avenger Stalker or the Cutlass Black. Oh, also look at the 300i. It's also a very good jack of all trades.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Anyone around at approx 1900 utc?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 04, 2019, 10:40:45 AM
Anyone around at approx 1900 utc?

That's 1500 est. I'll try.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

I loaded up the free client to give it a try and was pretty impressed.  Only problem is what do you do ?  I really just just want to fly and fight, not just mindless arena combat.  I'm wondering if the release of the squadron 42 content will be what I'm looking for.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on May 04, 2019, 11:41:42 AM
I loaded up the free client to give it a try and was pretty impressed.  Only problem is what do you do ?  I really just just want to fly and fight, not just mindless arena combat.  I'm wondering if the release of the squadron 42 content will be what I'm looking for.

There are tons of missions dude. Open up your mobiglass and go to the contracts panel.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Something's come up. Don't know if I can make tonight.
Will ping you if I still can.

Skoop

Lol, I figured out how to QD around, did a delivery mission which took me to Arcorp planet that's an urban sprawl.  Impressive site to see, like flying over something out of a city in starwars.  When I tried to land,  a big red restricted area warning went across my hud in which I ignored, which then destroyed my ship.  Then rebooted me back to the space station on the other side of the system.  I really wanted to site see on the city planet, will have to try again later.

Jarhead0331

You can only land in designated areas on the city worlds.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Well my SC adventure continues!

Took a Drake Cutlass out for a spin. Found out how to configure the controls to my HOTAS, except for inverting the throttle... do you know how to fix this? It's pretty awkward flying with inverted thrust control. :)

After figuring out how to work the nav map I flew to some tiny Farm complex on a barren planet. Must say that Elite's barren planets look a lot better. :)
Took a while to figure out I just had to plop the ship in the sand and go into the farm complex on foot. Found the cargo dispenser to get the crate with goods I needed to deliver somewhere in ArcCorp space.
Carried the crate back to my ship, placed it into the hold and fired the ship back up.

The fact that you actually are a person in SC immediately makes it a much more immersive experience! You can even do pointless things like flipping the seats in the cargo hold to take a seat. While its obviously great for RP, it does make the world and your ship feel much more real! It really adds to the feeling you are actually a person taking out a believable ship which could be used for a variety of things. Very nice.

The trip to ArcCorp territory is a long one and while in Quantum Drive my engines keep on overheating, dropping me out of QT. I haven't found a way to actively cool the engines or to otherwise avoid overheating, so input is appreciated.
What followed was a (I believe) bug where I could realign my route in the navmap, but the QT system woulnd't come online anymore. It took some fiddling and with help from the global chat (great bunch of friendly people so far), who were also at a loss, lol... I just started smashing some keys and after cycling the Scanner the system worked once again.
Pretty sure that's a bug.

Went to refuel at a nearby station in an Astroid belt and found out, unlike the farm earlier, you need to ask for docking permission at stations. :)
Its really cool you can interact with the various MFD's in the cockpit to configure all kinds of ship systems, but it's fairly clunky at this point. The icons are tiny, the interact button often doesn't work and the view controls in the menu's don't play nice with TrackIR.

But overall I am enjoying the experience! Enough so that I have bought the preorder pack, so I now own the Aurora MR.

The flightmodel is very much like in the X games. Some inertia, but overall pretty arcade. I hope this gets changed over time. It sure looks like RSI has big plans if you look at the things already being tracked like Radar Emission, Heat, Fuel and Hull integrity.

Jarhead0331

Inversion settings are in the main control setting areas...not the advanced settings where you view and change key bindings.

Heat management is new to 3.5.0 and is in a very early implementation. It will be balanced over the next few hot fixes and patches. Likewise, the flight model has been heavily tweaked in 3.5.0. It's much more Newtonian now than it was. If it is too arcade like for you, turn off your decouplers. You'll get near full Newtonian physics and no help from the electronic flight equipment.

Finally, in most ships I go straight to mobi glass for comms. I don't fiddle with the MFDs for the most part. I'm still learning how to read and interpret a lot of the data provided.

I'm surprised you think the barren planets look better in elite. I find Star Citizen planets to be much more diverse and at least the equal of elite.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

QuoteLikewise, the flight model has been heavily tweaked in 3.5.0. It's much more Newtonian now than it was. If it is too arcade like for you, turn off your decouplers. You'll get near full Newtonian physics and no help from the electronic flight equipment.

Think you meant Aristotelian for that first "Newtonian"....  >:D

Otherwise, if "much more Newtonian" = "too arcade", then going "near full Newtonian physics" would be even more fully too arcade!  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

^I have no idea what you're talking about.

Yskonyn...the Aurora is a good starter ship. Its the first packakge I got too. However, I quickly upgraded for an Avenger Stalker. The Aurora just wasn't sexy enough for me. lol.

Remember, some ships you can pay a modest fee to "melt" and upgrade into a different ship.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

The terrain texture on the planet I was on wasn't very sharp and the terrain mesh itself is lightyears from the detail you get in Elite's versions. The crags, mountains, gullies and valleys you find on Elite's barren spheres and the way light plays on those is not something I have seen come close in SC, but honest remark should be that I've only visited one planet so far in SC, so I might very well have just managed to visit the worst one. :P

Regarding the Avenger; its listed on the site as a pure fighter? I am looking for a multi-purpose ship in which I have enough cargo space to do some trade runs, have enough firepower, shields and armor to hold my own in case of combat and perhaps a ultility bay to store a rover or some kind of planetary vehicle. Does the Avenger fit the bill?

I've looked at the Cutlass as well, but that requires me to pay more than I am willing to do at the moment. Especially since I am reading that all ships will be obtainable for in-game currency later one as well.

Pratt is just trying to melt you brain, JH. Ignore the fool. :D