Field of Honor -February

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 16, 2024, 09:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

CaptainKoloth

Man, I'm not one usually to complain about graphics (I just played a game on my Win 98 PC this morning), but it sure looks like the dev is going out of his way to make the graphics...workmanlike.

ArizonaTank

Looks suspiciously like "Rise of Liberty" reskinned. Maybe it's not...but if it looks like a duck...

I like Rise of Liberty by the way, but it is definitely a 'lite' game.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

found this video of gameplay...

seems more in-depth than Rise of Liberty...so probably not a reskin.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Destraex

Looks interesting. But I think I will wait for the remastered scourge of war waterloo.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Rayfer

Quote from: Destraex on January 17, 2024, 05:15:16 AMLooks interesting. But I think I will wait for the remastered scourge of war waterloo.

Just curious...are they also going to do a remastered SoW:Gettysburg?

JasonPratt

Apparently yes but not yet? I recall hearing something along that line, but Nappy is definitely first.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Quote from: Rayfer on January 17, 2024, 07:31:29 AM
Quote from: Destraex on January 17, 2024, 05:15:16 AMLooks interesting. But I think I will wait for the remastered scourge of war waterloo.

Just curious...are they also going to do a remastered SoW:Gettysburg?

YEP

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2205330/discussions/0/4030221396675487640/

"Civil war remastered ?
This is great news I notice the screenshots are of Napoleonic (Waterloo ) Will the Scourge of war Gettysburg and Antietam etc be remastered later ?
A developer of this app has marked a post as the answer to the topic above.
Click here to jump to that post.
Originally posted by norb:
We will be remastering and publishing all of our DLC, plus new content"

Rayfer

Thanks Des....I'm loooking forward to to both.

Destraex

Quote from: Rayfer on January 19, 2024, 06:31:43 AMThanks Des....I'm loooking forward to to both.
Have to ask though, what's wrong with Waterloo? It's always intrugued me what Americans like the United States Civil War (is that more correct than American civil war?) over a period like Waterloo which is pretty much the same except with many more different factions and uniform colors with more of a combined arms tactical aspect to munch on than the mainly infantry tactics that were the USCW. I like the USCW don't get me wrong and have at least 10 books on it including one set of two french books on civil war uniforms as well as physical copies of shelby footes trilogy I am yet to read but intend to, I just think the Napoleonic period is so much more interesting from a colour and tactical point of view and am curious why US peeps always ask for the USCW over the Napoleonic. I guess it is because you can identify with it more?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on January 19, 2024, 08:44:23 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on January 19, 2024, 06:31:43 AMThanks Des....I'm loooking forward to to both.
Have to ask though, what's wrong with Waterloo? It's always intrugued me what Americans like the United States Civil War (is that more correct than American civil war?) over a period like Waterloo which is pretty much the same except with many more different factions and uniform colors with more of a combined arms tactical aspect to munch on than the mainly infantry tactics that were the USCW. I like the USCW don't get me wrong and have at least 10 books on it including one set of two french books on civil war uniforms as well as physical copies of shelby footes trilogy I am yet to read but intend to, I just think the Napoleonic period is so much more interesting from a colour and tactical point of view and am curious why US peeps always ask for the USCW over the Napoleonic. I guess it is because you can identify with it more?

For me, it's pretty easy.  I live in the United States where we are taught the history of the American Civil War at all levels.  In bookstores and libraries, ACW books dominated compared to Napoleonic content.  Also, we have reasonable access to the actual battlefields compared to traveling across the pond.  The color of uniforms is the last reason I am drawn to a specific conflict:)

I don't pretend to understand all the wars in the Napoleonic era and the reasons behind them, but ACW split the United States into two internal factions (not against other countries), brothers against brothers at times.  Its a fascinating time period to try and better understand and wargame, especially if you are from the country where it happened.

Likewise, I would expect people around the world to be drawn to Napoleonic for the same reason, it's what they likely most heard and read about since it spanned across countries and continents versus confined to a single country internal conflict.  I still keep trying various Napoleonic games but they don't hold my attention as much, but I keep trying and certainly will be buying the remastered Scourge series.

Toonces

^ That's a pretty good summary of my own thoughts.  I've tried to understand the Napoleonic wars but just can't seem to figure out where to start.  I have Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon, but I think that book presupposes some understanding of the topic.

Also, you should definitely put Foote's series at the top of your reading list.  It is very, very good.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Destraex

I will eventually get around to reading shelby foote. I am I must confess more interested in learning more about the Napoleonic wars. For me the Napoleonic wars is like world war 2 and the US Civil War is more like the English Civil War. I like the English Civil War as a wargaming subject but world war 2 is just so much bigger in scope and grander in it's tactical possabilities and variety of units and army flavours. The Napoleonic Wars is so much more balanced towards combined arms. Both are interesting but I find a lot of US wargamers never get to it because of the shadow the US civil war cast over it. I am hoping that Scourge of War Waterloo remastered becomes a staple for me.
Not only warfare either, the Napoleonic Wars involves Kings, Queens, Republics, Empires and more.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on January 21, 2024, 05:33:03 AMBoth are interesting but I find a lot of US wargamers never get to it because of the shadow the US civil war cast over it. I am hoping that Scourge of War Waterloo remastered becomes a staple for me.
Not only warfare either, the Napoleonic Wars involves Kings, Queens, Republics, Empires and more.

Just curious, how true is the reverse?  I would assume it is the same where most non-US gamers focus on non American Civil War games, so not sure that is all surprising.  With that said, I play plenty of war games beyond ACW, with World War II probably my second favorite conflict for wargaming.  But the same holds true for me.  I focus mostly on parts of the conflict where the United States was involved such as the West and care the least about things that happened in the East.  I still buy and try just about anything, but will always lean more towards enjoying things where I have more of a connection.  And certainly the Napoleonic Wars had it's unique leadership situations, but so did the ACW even if on a smaller scale with the generals and other leaders that lead the armies.

When gaming Ancient and Medieval times, of course then I am more open to playing different countries/factions as that was well before the birth of the United States where I don't have much of a connection.

In the end, I'll try just about anything, but will always put the ACW at the top of my list....

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"