IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Eastern Front of WWII (and WWI incidentally) has always been the most fascinating to me.

Just to be certain here: there is a solid SP campaign for Battle of Stalingrad, right? Everything I have read indicates that there is.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Similar in look and feel to how the campaign system from Rise of Flight works.

Gusington

Good enough. Just the fact that it is the Battle of Stalingrad is the draw.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on November 24, 2018, 07:34:37 PM
Good enough. Just the fact that it is the Battle of Stalingrad is the draw.

"Blazing Steppes" (which is cheap right now) has its own narrative IL-2 campaign, too, over Stalingrad.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^Yeah I saw that but before I dive that deep I want to just dip my toe in the original campaign. The last ten years have not been proud ones for me for flight sims...I have such excitement and high hopes but then they become very difficult for me to learn. I have read on Steam that BoS is less unforgiving for n00bs, thus my interest (besides it being on the Eastern Front, etc.)

That said, I am planning on getting the Hs129 DLC for some tank killin'.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

Love the Hs129 too, but it was historically a bust.  Not as good at tank killing as it was suppose to be.  Tank killing improved when they modded antitank rockets to the wings and tungsten rounds to the belly gun.  The late war model with the 75mm AT gun mounted in the belly was a beast in original IL2, but historically never saw combat.  Most pilots saw it as a death trap with no defensive gunners.

Rudel, Germany's ground attack ace, preferred the twin cannon 37mm stuka with tungsten rounds for tank killing.

The 1943 IL2 model that drops PTAB AT mass bomblets from the bomb bays was game changer for killing entire columns of vehicles.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I find the Hs129 to be the hardest plane to fly in the game.  Taxi and take-off is very difficult.  It's really hard to keep the thing from ground looping.  Once you do get it up in the air, it feels very under-powered.  It takes a long time to climb and it feels nose heavy no matter how you trim it.  The damn thing just wants to crash.  Strafing with it is hard because it sucks so badly at climbing.  After 2-3 passes, you've lost so much energy that you have to bugger off and spend a few minutes climbing back up high enough to be able to make a few more passes.

Yskonyn

Is there a difference between ordering at their site or over at Steam (like DCS)? Or does one buy Steam keys at their website as well?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Those reviews are equivalent to Steam reviews for "the flying Duck", too. It's fun to play as a piece of history and a challenge, but isn't as effective as the Stuka or BF-110. (The latter of which is stock for one of the DLC operations, I forget which, Moscow I think. But which you can't buy as DLC, through Steam anyway.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Pete Dero

Gusington

Bf110 and the Stuka are some of my favorite aircraft, since I was a kid playing LucasArts Battle of Britain. I even enjoyed being the gunner in both.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

OK so I bought the base game and fired it up.

It was in windowed mode to I put it in to full screen mode and futzed around with the resolution. I maxed it out, so much so that the options menu on the intro screen was inaccessible. To get it back I modified the startup .cfg file and put the resolution back down to 1920 x 1080.

Only issue now is the menu text and Steam comes up with blurry text. I tried changing the resolution and a couple of other graphics changes but I can't get ride of this blurry text. I even re-installed but it didn't work. No other games have this issue.

Any idea on how to get crisp text back? It was fine when I booted the game up the very first time. Graphics appear to be fine...no blur.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

REEEFUNNNDDD!

>:D

I don't know the answer, but my bet would be on some problem interfacing with Windows' dot-per-inch text modifier.