Games you want to play but haven't

Started by Dammit Carl!, July 19, 2015, 02:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

We all have them; rpgs bought but never played thanks to a group that refuses to play anything different or maybe there is a game line that catches your eye but you just haven't gotten around to getting it yet.

For myself, I've got 3 that hang out there...tempting me...

1. Legend of the Five Rings: I've been a fan of the samurai / eastern thing since watching Shogun all those years ago.  And I was the only one of our group who felt that way.  Sigh.

2.Fading Suns: Sci Fi and Fantasy in one package?  Yes, please. 

3.Warhammer et al:  Grandiose grim setting(s), pretty books and plenty of supporting media to really get the feel of the place.

So, how 'bout you folks? 

bbmike

Well, I do have Amarillo's Prime Directive d20 Modern that I recently purchased from DriveThruRPG. I just need to figure out how to generate characters and play it.
And on a related note, whoever pointed me in the direction of DriveThruRPG there has to be a special circle in Dante's Hell waiting for you.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 19, 2015, 02:03:24 AM

1. Legend of the Five Rings: I've been a fan of the samurai / eastern thing since watching Shogun all those years ago.  And I was the only one of our group who felt that way.  Sigh.

Think I mentioned this elsewhere, but the Lot5R fourth edition books are gorgeous.  I have the core rulebook and the "monster manual" equivalent.  Not played them but I've been enjoying reading them.   Also thankful it uses a dice pool system instead of d20 or d100, even though you'll need a large amount of d10s for it.

When I was shopping around for them a couple months ago, the publisher had copies of the Core rulebook listed as Out Of Stock.  I suppose their last printing is getting short on availability right now.  Not sure if/when they're making more but considering there are so many accesory books out there, you'd think they would.

Double Deuce

Any Old West RPG. I have several including the Outlaw supplement for RoleMaster and an original copy of Boot Hill but could never get anyone to play them. Every time I pitched that genre the feedback was always, "boring, what's there to do but run around shooting people up". Not that they minded that part, but coming up with a good backstory always seemed the biggest obstacle to generating interest.

Nefaro

Quote from: Double Deuce on July 20, 2015, 12:37:09 AM
Any Old West RPG. I have several including the Outlaw supplement for RoleMaster and an original copy of Boot Hill but could never get anyone to play them. Every time I pitched that genre the feedback was always, "boring, what's there to do but run around shooting people up". Not that they minded that part, but coming up with a good backstory always seemed the biggest obstacle to generating interest.

Yeah, I probably couldn't come up with enough variety in a Regular Old West themed RPG.  Not compared to that in most of the other RPGs.  Gotta be tough.

I went with the latest Deadlands (Savage Worlds system) for such purposes.  I dig the Weird Horror West thing.  More so the many horror bits than the steampunk-ish bits, but no worries.  It definitely has a lot of goodies to seed, including some fun uses of playing cards, poker chips, and special pistol duel rules.  O0

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Nefaro on July 19, 2015, 10:32:53 PM
Think I mentioned this elsewhere, but the Lot5R fourth edition books are gorgeous.  I have the core rulebook and the "monster manual" equivalent.  Not played them but I've been enjoying reading them.   Also thankful it uses a dice pool system instead of d20 or d100, even though you'll need a large amount of d10s for it.

When I was shopping around for them a couple months ago, the publisher had copies of the Core rulebook listed as Out Of Stock.  I suppose their last printing is getting short on availability right now.  Not sure if/when they're making more but considering there are so many accesory books out there, you'd think they would.

I can't deny the absolute beauty of the newer editions of the L5R line - I'm just kind of partial to 1st edition as it seems more "enthusiastic," in its approach to things.

Eh, thats my particular bias showing I fear;  I think that some things lose their unique spark the more times they get retouched/remade.  However, that idea could very well be another thread topic in of itself so I'll stop right there.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on July 20, 2015, 09:48:55 AM

Yeah, I probably couldn't come up with enough variety in a Regular Old West themed RPG.  Not compared to that in most of the other RPGs.  Gotta be tough.

I went with the latest Deadlands (Savage Worlds system) for such purposes.  I dig the Weird Horror West thing.  More so the many horror bits than the steampunk-ish bits, but no worries.  It definitely has a lot of goodies to seed, including some fun uses of playing cards, poker chips, and special pistol duel rules.  O0

Deadlands Reloaded is the only system that I've ever actually GM'd, and it's a blast. Lots of really interesting little options you can toss in if the party is struggling too much or (MUCH more fun  >:D ) doing a bit too well.

bbmike

It just occurred to me how much fun a Wild Wild West RPG might be. Based on the 60's TV series, that is, and not the Will Smith movie.  :coolsmiley:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on July 21, 2015, 04:06:41 PMBased on the 60's TV series, that is, and not the Will Smith movie.  :coolsmiley:

All 4 seasons are available on Youtube.  Complete episodes without the commercials.  F'n' awesome O0
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 21, 2015, 06:01:58 PM
bbmike -

check out any of the following
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/91381/Deadlands-Reloaded-Smith--Robards-1880-Catalog
http://intothefarwest.com
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=64449&affiliate_id=9322

Wait, were you the one that introduced me to DriveThruRPG?  :knuppel2:
Those look promising! And I just had another idea - an RPG (or RPG character) based on the 70's David Carradine Kung Fu TV Series! Another of my favorite shows.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Speaking of DriveThruRPG, they have Go Fer Yer Gun! by Beyond Belief Games for free! There's even a Wandering Monk class so you could create Kwai Chang Caine if you want.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Nefaro