Worra Realms

Started by TheCommandTent, February 01, 2013, 09:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

I covered this Kickstarter project in this week's latest GARPA out on the front page.

http://grogheads.com/garpa-11.html

Its an RPG called Worra Realms and I wanted to get some veteran RPGers opinions on this.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1711283738/worra-realms-fantasy-rpg

The concept appeals to me in that I could use it to interest/entice friends, who enjoy boardgames but are unsure of RPGs, into trying out role-playing.  However, its seems that with it being so dependent on the cards that your options for running anything beyond a couple sessions would be limited.  Again this is all coming from some one who is a relative newbie to pen and paper RPGs.  Thoughts?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Arctic Blast

Kind of similar to 3rd Edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying from Fantasy Flight. They also used cards for spells, abilities and everything else. Of course, they expanded it so massively that you'd bankrupt yourself trying to acquire more than a bit of it...

It's a neat idea. The total lack of any sort of game book is a bit of a turn off for me, but that's because I'm kind of a freak and read stuff like that for fun.  ;D

Does it look like it's going to have a decent sized community playing it? If so, there's a pretty good chance that you'll see A LOT of custom stuff appear, with the only expense being paper and printer ink. Problem is, if the customizing doesn't come from the community, that would tell me that maybe there isn't much of a community playing it. And if there aren't many active players, it's doubtful you'll see much official expansion material come down the pipeline, either. So it's going to be a bit of a gamble.

Hmmm...is this purely a dungeon crawler? Not sure how much life something sold as an RPG system is going to have as a pure dungeon crawler, but that's also a crowded market place in the board game realm. Of course, if you have one or two of those board games, you'd also have a bunch of stuff you could convert in to Worra Realms...

TheCommandTent

Thanks for your thoughts Arctic Blast.  I does seem to be mostly a dungeon crawler that is laid out using the cards.  You comments about custom stuff from the community is interesting.  Being a Kickstarter there is no community, yet.  If I don't get in on the Kickstarter, which I probably won't, it will be interesting to see how the community grows (or doesn't) once it is released.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Arctic Blast

Quote from: TheCommandTent on February 02, 2013, 08:43:19 AM
Thanks for your thoughts Arctic Blast.  I does seem to be mostly a dungeon crawler that is laid out using the cards.  You comments about custom stuff from the community is interesting.  Being a Kickstarter there is no community, yet.  If I don't get in on the Kickstarter, which I probably won't, it will be interesting to see how the community grows (or doesn't) once it is released.

Yeah, it has a chance to become something really interesting.

$5 shipping outside the US is going to kill this guy, though. Postal rates all just went up...WAY up. A lot of these board game Kickstarters are about to get their ass kicked by big, unexpected jumps in shipping rates.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 02, 2013, 04:41:51 PM

$5 shipping outside the US is going to kill this guy, though. Postal rates all just went up...WAY up. A lot of these board game Kickstarters are about to get their ass kicked by big, unexpected jumps in shipping rates.

Yeah it's a shame.  Hopefully they will have made enough over their goals and not over committed in stretch goals that they can absorb some of that increase.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: TheCommandTent on February 02, 2013, 05:32:08 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 02, 2013, 04:41:51 PM

Yeah it's a shame.  Hopefully they will have made enough over their goals and not over committed in stretch goals that they can absorb some of that increase.

I'm curious to see what the Hell happens with the massive version of Ogre now. That was going to cost a fortune to ship before the rates went up.