Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: Steam Refund Policy Change...
Last post by W8taminute - Today at 03:27:07 PM
Oh wow. 

So all I'm taking away from this policy change is that if you thought you could play for free under the Advanced Access before returning a game you cannot do this any longer. 

IOW "the man"TM is protecting his interest by taking away a consumer loop hole. 

I think I would be ok with this change but I wish they would increase the time to try before returning from 2 hours to 4 hours.  Some games require at least 4 or more hours before you can legitimately say I like or not.
General Discussion / Re: The Boring Thread
Last post by Windigo - Today at 02:45:19 PM
The Stihl BG50 leaf-blower does 412 cfm, while the EGO electric does 650 cfm. Looking at stuff for when I move to my cottage.

General Discussion / Re: WANT!
Last post by Windigo - Today at 02:43:05 PM
Damn, I want the Catalina. Most awesome.
Last post by Skoop - Today at 02:23:31 PM
Call me an idiot, but I wish I had know that prior, I probably would have tried some games and put some real time in before refund to really see if I like it.
Last post by rss334 - Today at 02:21:35 PM
Thanks, I did not even know this about advanced access.   Hate to admit but I'm sort of into refunds on steam :nono2: 

I've bought so many games and probably refunded about 80% of them, all legit for various reasons text too small, poor performance, too early in EA .....   so while I refund most of what I buy it's within the rules they set forth.   Honestly, I'm surprised they have not kicked me off the platform by now or removed my ability to refund games.

This refund policy however keeps me buying games on steam, I appreciate it kind of like test driving a car before you commit to buying it.   
Computer Gaming / Steam Refund Policy Changes
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 01:15:35 PM
I don't see this effecting much, but it is worth reporting.

Apparently, prior to this update in the policy, time spent playing in titles released into "Advanced Access" was not counted toward the two-hour playtime maximum for the refund grace period. The updated policy changes this so Advanced Access time will be counted. Advanced Access is distinguished from early access in that Advanced Access allows users that have pre-purchased a game to play prior to the game's official release. For example, a "deluxe" pre-purchase version may include Advanced Access. Unlike Early Access, Advanced Access is not a unique model of development for a game, it's simply an opportunity to play a game before it fully releases on Steam.

In any event...figured some might be interest in having this information.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/593110/view/4195741362094579140
Computer Gaming / Re: Front Mission Series?
Last post by rss334 - Today at 11:00:32 AM
Quote from: rss334 on Today at 10:46:33 AMI've played through the front mission games, but not the evolved version nor the remakes.  I actually looked in to buying the remakes but felt like it's just an upgraded graphical version of of the old titles and despite that still feels like it's from the 2010 sadly.  The game itself was OK in 2010 but today there are just so many better options I would say it did not age well. It feels like your playing a game back from that period and everything about it from music to UI screams "I did not age well". 

I would not recommend it unless you have already played through BattleTech and Battlesector. Now if you don't like the more hardcore games above and want something less tactical and faster playing then sure try out front missions just don't go in to it with high expectations in 2024 remembering much of it came from 2010 and around. 

On a side note I've yet to play battlesector but have always wanted to as I hear the game is good. Also I forgot about into the breach another one I've not played but had great reviews

Actually battlesector may not be the game I was thinking of exactly, maybe it was Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon.  honestly i can't remember but I think it was a slitherine game with 40K in it but similar to front mission with turn based combat.
Last post by rss334 - Today at 10:46:33 AM
I've played through the front mission games, but not the evolved version nor the remakes.  I actually looked in to buying the remakes but felt like it's just an upgraded graphical version of of the old titles and despite that still feels like it's from the 2010 sadly.  The game itself was OK in 2010 but today there are just so many better options I would say it did not age well. It feels like your playing a game back from that period and everything about it from music to UI screams "I did not age well". 

I would not recommend it unless you have already played through BattleTech and Battlesector. Now if you don't like the more hardcore games above and want something less tactical and faster playing then sure try out front missions just don't go in to it with high expectations in 2024 remembering much of it came from 2010 and around. 

On a side note I've yet to play battlesector but have always wanted to as I hear the game is good. Also I forgot about into the breach another one I've not played but had great reviews
Last post by W8taminute - Today at 09:09:38 AM
Back in my early gaming life I had Front Mission for PS1 and Front Mission 2 for PS2. 

I'm a big fan of Japanese tactics type games and the Front Mission series is no exception in my book.  These games may be rather simplistic in today's world in terms of leveling or modding your mechs.  Not a lot of complex decisions to be made when attaching upgrades and enhancements.  These games are simple but addictive.  I haven't played either of those games in a very long time so I don't quite remember all of the details but I do remember liking them.

The other aspect I like about this series is during combat a miss is a miss and a hit is a hit.  All based on the stats of the equipment/mech with no randomness factored in.  That randomness found in the X-COM series is infuriating to me whereas combat results in Front Mission and other Japanese "tactics" games are all based on the math with no randomness.

Isn't there a modern day version of this game on Steam?  I can't remember the name but after watching a few LPs I decided to pass on it as it felt too modern for my taste. 

Computer Gaming / Re: Shadow Empire
Last post by bobarossa - Today at 08:44:34 AM
Quote from: Sparhawk on Yesterday at 11:20:43 PMI typically favor Mind, Enforcement, and Democracy so see the request to change voting based on class every playthrough. I've found they continue to request this if you refuse so just accept. With my priority focuses I don't seem to take any negative hits by accepting.
I favor Mind, Enforcement, and either Merit or Dem.  Those both have valuable perks so I try to get a few from each by going back and forth.  This is first time I got almost nothing but Merit boosts after picking Dem. 

Yeah, I decided to just accept as the people's anger can be dealt with more easily than half my leaders hating me.