GMT Games Website Issues

Started by TheCommandTent, February 11, 2013, 07:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

Does anyone know where the guys running Victory Point Games were last night?  ;)

Really odd, I got word of this via the email newsletter. I am not sure why GMT, other than just plain random chance. Or disgruntled BGG guys made at overly long P500?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

TheCommandTent

Looks like they have the website back up and running.

QuoteWebsite Back Online!!!

This is just a quick update to let you know that the GMT website is back online now. As a security precaution again further attacks of this type, we've added Cloudware software to our site. This will mean that occasionally when you visit our website, you will get a "challenge page" (like the ones you get from an email server that is filtering spam, where you have to type in letters you see on the screen) before continuing to our site. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you, but we want to make sure we don't get any more "bot" attacks on the site.

Our mail servers look to be working fine as well, so your e-mails to gmtoffice@gmtgames.com should work now. As we noted earlier, if you sent us e-mail between friday and today to any of the @gmtgames.com addresses, that mail was lost, so please resend it.

We're monitoring the site closely and double-checking all features over the next few days. If you see something that appears to not be working properly, please let me know at gmtgames@aol.com.

Thanks for your patience with us through this trying past few days, and for all the kind words, support, and advice you've given us. Believe me, we KNOW we have great customers! Thanks!

Thanks, as always, for your support of GMT!

Enjoy the games!

Gene
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

ABD

Did they ever figure out what really happened?

GJK

Appears to be down again.  I recently picked up a copy of Blue vs Gray (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/89/blue-vs-gray) which has gotten some very nice reviews on the Geek.  GMT picked up this game from QED some time ago (I have the QED version).  The updated rules are on their website but it's been down since at least last night. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

I wonder if the Norks aren't hacking them for Next War: Korea
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 27, 2013, 07:17:39 AM
You mean they know about our little wargaming hobby?   ???
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on March 27, 2013, 07:21:49 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 27, 2013, 07:17:39 AM

The GMT website counts as critical infrastructure in my book.  But if they took down NWS...that would be a real tragedy.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 27, 2013, 07:17:39 AMI wonder if the Norks aren't hacking them for Next War: Korea

Nah, just that anything with their name on it probably looks equal to them through their limited internet periscope.  And if you're raised in a country where nothing happens without gov't approval, and you have no frame of reference for the possibility that someone could - of their own volition - create and sell a game about a war between the US and the Norks, then your default mode of thought is that a game like that must somehow be state-approved.
I'm not saying it's right, just saying that it's not an unrealistic possibility, and if you discard things out of hand that sound crazy to us then you're not necessarily thinking about what might be rational to the other guy.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 27, 2013, 07:32:25 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 27, 2013, 07:17:39 AMI wonder if the Norks aren't hacking them for Next War: Korea

Nah, just that anything with their name on it probably looks equal to them through their limited internet periscope.  And if you're raised in a country where nothing happens without gov't approval, and you have no frame of reference for the possibility that someone could - of their own volition - create and sell a game about a war between the US and the Norks, then your default mode of thought is that a game like that must somehow be state-approved.
I'm not saying it's right, just saying that it's not an unrealistic possibility, and if you discard things out of hand that sound crazy to us then you're not necessarily thinking about what might be rational to the other guy.

Excellent point, Brant. I hadn't thought that far into it. I suspect you're right.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.