The "Holy %$%# It's Cold Out There" Winter 2017 Thread

Started by mirth, October 27, 2017, 07:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Martok on January 05, 2018, 09:46:21 PM

Well I don't envy you the flooding, but I would honestly be ecstatic if the temp here was -2 C right now.  That would be a full 20 degrees warmer than it is currently.  :buck2: 

I know I'm whinning about temps much higher that what some of you are having to deal with  ::) But, dude.... Cold is cold  :P

Quote from: OJsDad on January 05, 2018, 09:37:15 PM
Had to run an errand today. It was about 6 out. The radio was playing Boys of Summer

Oh the irony!!!!

Quote from: MetalDog on January 05, 2018, 09:55:02 PM

The car coming toward me in the opposite lane scared them both off, but not before the hawk tried to carry the cat off.  Might have been a skunk.  They may not be starlins, but, there's a bird that flocks and moves like you describe where I live.  They are in my area now, scouring the fields for something to eat.  There are owls that hunt the area I live in.  And you are right, they are super quiet.  Unless they hoot.  Had to chase an egret off the trunk of a Mustang once.  And I have been within 15 feet of an American Bald Eagle in the wild.  Thankfully, I was inside a home, looking out the window at it.

I would've been betting on the vulture to win that scrap, had the car not disturbed them from their meal  :) its cool that you've seen what I've described, albeit a different bird. Still, it's a very impressive sight, glad you've seen it ;) Egrets are beautiful, their white feathers always make me think of really delicate lace. (hope I'm thinking of the right bird!)  wouldn't have minded having a drive of that mustang  :D And, yep, I think you were much safer behind glass with the bald Eagle!!!! I bet that was epic  O0

Quote from: Gusington on January 05, 2018, 10:18:57 PM
I forgot about owls...we have one particular type here, I forget what it's called, but it is huge and hoots in a very cliched, stereotypically spooky way. It's usually out and about in the fall.

Be great to find out what that owl is. And yeah, I've heard them hoot only a time or two.... Very spooky  :o I was looking at a tiny owl once inside a cage, and I just started to blink at it to see what it would do.... Copied me every single time!!!! Lol  ::)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Greybriar

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 05, 2018, 11:44:33 PM
Here in Fla. the Purple Martins are due. Purple what?  Purple Martins are birds related to Starlings that eat only flying insects. They migrate from Central America every year and arrive here about the middle of January. I have a bird house for them, you've probably seen them around, and they stay here until about the last of May. They come every year, mate for life, raise their chicks and then fly north. They'll be 10 or 12 that will live in the house together and they can do the most amazing acrobatic flying you've ever seen. And they're not really purple, the males are black. Can't wait for them to get here.  :nerd:

I tried to attract some Purple martins to a martin house I put up in the middle of my garden but the sparrows filled it with their nests before the Martins had a chance to build their own nests. :knuppel2:
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

Drilling this morning - heat not working in the room we're in 💀

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

We ran out of oil last night.  Low 50s in the house right now.  <sigh>
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

trailrunner

It was 7F this morning when I headed out for my trail run, and probably colder when I got to the trailhead. 

But it was a wonderful run through the woods.  The sun was up, but low and shining golden through the bare trees on the thin layer of white snow.  I was cold for the first mile, but then an uphill section warmed my last cold thumb.  The remaining time was therapeutic - just me and my thoughts wandering along the trail through he snowy woods.  The cinnamon roll at the small bakery on the way home was a well-deserved reward.  Life was good. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Emeraldlis

It's set to drop to - 5C over Saturday night.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-weather-forecast-freezing-weekend-11805592.amp

I hope you get your oil soon Toonces! And I hope you get your heating back on Gus! I can't imagine dealing with the freezing cold weather you guys get, without having any heating  :wow: I could send you a few gallons of oil from my heating if I had a willing dog, but I only have two lazy cats  :hide:

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 05, 2018, 11:44:33 PM
Here in Fla. the Purple Martins are due. Purple what?  Purple Martins are birds related to Starlings that eat only flying insects. They migrate from Central America every year and arrive here about the middle of January. I have a bird house for them, you've probably seen them around, and they stay here until about the last of May. They come every year, mate for life, raise their chicks and then fly north. They'll be 10 or 12 that will live in the house together and they can do the most amazing acrobatic flying you've ever seen. And they're not really purple, the males are black. Can't wait for them to get here.  :nerd:

Enjoy the purple Martins when they arrive Sir Slash  O0 When I was a kid we had housemartins that used to nest under the eaves of our roof... Right outside my bedroom window! When the chicks hatched, there chirping for food used to wake me up in the morning, super early... Great alarm clocks! 
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

bayonetbrant

you guys should check out the "What the Forecast?!" app

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Toonces

I think Rhode Island might have broken me today.   :-\
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Emeraldlis

That app is cool  O0 And now as well as feeling freezing outside, I can actually be told it as well  ;D

Staggerwing

Quote from: Toonces on January 06, 2018, 10:35:14 AM
We ran out of oil last night.  Low 50s in the house right now.  <sigh>
Damn. They didn't deliver?

If you are really hard up for #2 Fuel Oil you can substitute diesel from the gas station. Fill up a few gas cans and dump it into your oil tank. Rinse, repeat.
It costs a lot more and you might spill a little on you but if you are just throwing in 10-20 gallons to get through the next day it could be worth it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Toonces on January 06, 2018, 03:03:12 PM
I think Rhode Island might have broken me today.   :-\

I hope Staggerwings suggestion can help you out. Being that cold and miserable is no joke!