The "Holy %$%# It's Cold Out There" Winter 2017 Thread

Started by mirth, October 27, 2017, 07:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeraldlis

Its such a clear night tonight, I can just about make out the strip of stars that make up our milky way galaxy. I've seen it much clearer than this though before. More like this...

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/is-this-perhaps-the-most-perfect-picture-of-ireland-ever-taken-173465831-237754481
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

That app makes County Clare, IRE and Raleigh NC look identical.

Toonces if I have to I will deploy my dog with a cask of oil under his chin, just say the word. What a weekend to run out of fuel. Do you have a fireplace?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Sorry, I don't mean to sound so bleak.

I knew we were almost out of fuel so I called on Thursday and left a message that we were at empty and needed a fill-up.  Called Friday to follow up and they said we were scheduled for Saturday.  Ok.

Last night (Friday) all was good until about 2am when I had to pee.  I got up and damn, the bedroom is fucking cold! Check the thermostat and we're already at 55 degrees.

Got up at 0530 to take the boy to wrestling and turned on the propane fireplace.  It works pretty good to heat the downstairs living room/dining room/kitchen area, but propane is hella-expensive.  Anyway, I turned it on, and it turns out there was enough hot water for my wife to take a shower still, then everyone left for the day and I was here to hold down the cold fort until the heat came back on.

By 1130 I called again, and they said they'd send out 20 gallons of emergency fuel, but the full load wouldn't be here until tomorrow because so many people were out of oil.  About noon we got the 20 gallons of oil and fired up the furnace.  But the house is fucking cold, and it's not an efficient house.  My daughter's bedroom appears to be frozen; was at 47 degrees at 6pm still and the baseboard heating isn't working.  Meanwhile, I have the firelplace running full out to heat up the upstairs by hot air flowing up and into her room, hopefully thawing things out.  The rest of the house has finally more or less reached its equilibrium temperature.

Then, it took me 3 hours to shovel out the driveway yesterday, and today I had to shovel a path across my mansion yard for the oil guy tomorrow or they won't deliver the fuel.  I'm pretty fit, but damn, my back is not happy.

And even if it's not too cold to surf, which it is, I can't get to the surf anyway because my Impreza will never make it over the drifts into a parking spot.

So we're more or less warm, should be full up tomorrow, and I still haven't surfed since Xmas eve.

I'm just kind of over this.

I lived in Iceland for almost 4 years, and I was never this cold.  We had a house that was sealed as a vault, free geothermal heat, and you could make that house feel like Key West if you wanted to.  This is just ridiculous.

I thought I was ok, but today I think I cracked a little.  A lot.  I am not a happy panda right now.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

You know, I can deal with cold weather, really.  But this house is breaking me.  The whole heating/cooling system of this house is a jury-rigged fucking Property Brothers fucking mess.  I genuinely feel sorry for the next person that buys this money pit bullshit house.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Hang in there, Commander. Did the full delivery (beyond 'emergency') ever arrive?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Toonces on January 06, 2018, 08:40:59 PM
I thought I was ok, but today I think I cracked a little.  A lot.

It was only a matter of time. Don't start talking to the ghost bartender.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Ubercat

Quote from: mirth on January 06, 2018, 09:26:40 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 06, 2018, 08:40:59 PM
I thought I was ok, but today I think I cracked a little.  A lot.

It was only a matter of time. Don't start talking to the ghost bartender.

I hear that he's really mean to replicants, too. He makes them think that they're his daughter and then he shuts them out of his life.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Toonces

He said have another drink.  I did.  I said it was passing well.

I told my wife don't piss me off.

The house hangs in an uneasy balance.

Hawaii dog has learned the term, "quick potty" and seems to have embraced it.  A pupperoni post-pee/poo has been a real motivator.

Rough day.  Scotch slowly making better.  Slowly...need more. Need mooooore.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

trailrunner

4F when I headed out for my run this morning.  Besides being dressed for the cold, if I had the urge to rob a 7-11 along the way, I was prepared.

Now that I'm done with my run, I'm going stay inside the rest of the day and read the rules to Rifles in the Ardennes.

Staggerwing

How'd everybody make out overnight? No frozen pipes I hope.

Toonces, did the oil guys finally drop off some oil? Hopefully there were no issues getting the furnace back up and running.
Sometimes, when you run the tank dry there can be sediment sucked into the fuel lines requiring cleaning or replacing of the filter.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

-12 when I took the dog out this morning. About +5 now I think.

The Wife just offered to have the Toonces clan stay here. Bring the mini dog.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

-11 overnight, 8 above now. Finally going to moderate next week. Good thing too. I could feel a bit of the redrum taking hold.