The "Holy %$%# It's Cold Out There" Winter 2017 Thread

Started by mirth, October 27, 2017, 07:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Well, don't moisten your loins over it, Gus. Nobody wants to hear about a c*ck block of ice.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

We're supposed to get blowing snow approaching whiteout conditions, starting tonight and going all the way through tomorrow.  And I'm supposed to drive to Wisconsin for the weekend in this crap.  Ugh. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Yeah, man.  Stay safe.  Hope your car is in better shape than it was on the way to/from Origins a couple years ago.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

Certainly be careful Martok. Driving to Wisconsin is almost as dangerous as being in Wisconsin after all. Question. "Blowing Snow". Is that the same as wind-driven snow or is it snow that so bad it just 'blows'?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Thanks guys.  The forecast is now saying things *may* start tapering off toward the evening, so I'm really hoping that's the case.  (I gotta work the morning shift tomorrow, so realistically I won't get going til probably around 5 p.m. anyway.) 

Quote from: MetalDog on January 10, 2018, 11:02:20 PM
Yeah, man.  Stay safe.  Hope your car is in better shape than it was on the way to/from Origins a couple years ago.
I should be just fine there.  I got new wheels back in May (thankfully).  O0 

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 10, 2018, 11:39:27 PM
"Blowing Snow". Is that the same as wind-driven snow or is it snow that so bad it just 'blows'?
In this case, both.  ::) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Toonces

I hope you're at least getting laid on the Wisconsin end.  Otherwise, this trip sounds like a bad idea BRAH.

Now if there are bewbs involved, that's a whole other story. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

BanzaiCat

When it gets bad way down here I know it's gotta be 10x worse up there. Supposed to have a cold front blow through today with tons of rain, making temps freezing over the next few days. Figures because this is the one damn day out of the week I actually have to run errands.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Emeraldlis

Remember, if you hit ice... Don't break! I'm not sure what you'd do in an automatic, but in a car with gears, you're supposed to get into a low gear and use that as a break. Instead of the foot pedal. And steer into the slide, not out of it... As I'd be tempted to do!

*end of road safety announcement *  :hug:

Stay safe guys, driving in whatever road conditions your part of the world is dealing with right now  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Gusington

^I did almost exactly that (steering in to a skid) on the hill I live on and it saved me from slamming my brand new car in to a guardrail. It actually works!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Emeraldlis

^omg... I'm glad you got out of it in one piece, you and your car!  :bd:

As soon as we started to get ice on the roads over here, I had a little practice in the car, of just slowing down with the gears. And remembering which way to steer. Just so that it'd be fresh in my head if I hit any ice... And also, so that I wouldn't panic  :hide:  I've hit water before on the roads here, and it's a scary feeling to know that no tyres are gripping the road! Wobbly leg moment  :o
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog