Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Ah, the 90s LiS film. A movie I like both more and less whenever I happen to watch it. Though slightly more 'more' than more 'less' each time, so on the balance it's gaining ground. The fact I've given it a chance more than once says something about my perception of its merits anyway.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on July 02, 2015, 08:21:00 AM
Wait til you meet the British character, ucg...he is both tragic and hilarious.

yeah, met him now - Richard Harris' son - has always played a baddie in the stuff i remember

Gusington

Maybe we can get him to play you in the Grogheads triple trilogy.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

If you're at all interested in the Whitey Bulger story, I suggest watching -  Whitey: United States of America v. James J. Bulger.

Just be ready to feel sick to your stomach. What a bunch of crooked, lying, murdering scumbags on all sides.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

eyebiter

War of the Worlds: Goliath animated steam punk adaption takes place 15 years after the original War of the Worlds.  Humanity has developed advanced machines and technology based on salvaged martian tripods.  Steam powered walkers with cannons and heat rays, rocket powered biplanes, zeppelin battleships.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfQm1FS-T2E

Dark Matter - a starship crew wakes up from cold sleep with memory loss.  Based on the Dark Horse comic series.  Just renewed by Syfy for season 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTHOdjil-R4

Silent Disapproval Robot

Narcos.  Fracking awesome.  Makes me want to play Andean Abyss.

eyebiter

NOVA: First Air War
A team of pilots and engineers in NZ build WWI era biplanes from the original blueprints then fly them 

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Nefaro

Quote from: eyebiter on October 15, 2015, 09:58:39 AM
NOVA: First Air War
A team of pilots and engineers in NZ build WWI era biplanes from the original blueprints then fly them

It was a nice doc, but I felt they ended the timeline too early. 

Need a really long doc on WWI aircraft & prodution improvements throughout the war.  The couple docs I've seen on this subject thus far have been far too brief. 

It's fascinating how quickly the technology advanced, and the stories from the pilots flying those rickety deathtraps are even more fascinating.

mirth

Just finished up with Narcos and will probably give it another watch through soon. Top notch. Right up there with the best TV series I've ever seen - Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire.

Wagner Moura, the actor who plays Escobar, is outstanding.

Centurion40

Just watched a doc on the founding of the Israeli Air Force.  Very interesting; I recommend.

Any time is a good time for pie.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: mirth on October 18, 2015, 05:40:11 PM
Just finished up with Narcos and will probably give it another watch through soon. Top notch. Right up there with the best TV series I've ever seen - Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire.

Every time the guy who plays Javier the DEA agent appeared on screen, all I could think of was Schneider from One Day at a Time.

Centurion40

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 22, 2015, 10:32:32 AM
Quote from: mirth on October 18, 2015, 05:40:11 PM

Every time the guy who plays Javier the DEA agent appeared on screen, all I could think of was Schneider from One Day at a Time.

And now I will never be able to see it the same way ever again!

mirth

Interview with the real Javier Peña and Steve Murphy

http://observer.com/2015/08/dea-agents-on-hunting-pablo-escobar-el-chapo-and-the-accuracy-of-netflixs-narcos/

Steve: It was a lovely time. Not to mention there was a $300,000 price tag on any DEA agent.
Were you aware of that price tag the entire time?
Steve: Oh, yeah. My wife threatened to cash in on it several times.

Centurion40