Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Quote from: fran on January 16, 2021, 02:53:34 AM
The famous movies I've not watched would be Titanic and Avatar

Brother!   :hug:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I watched the first episode of, "Age of Samurai: The Battle for Japan" on Netflix last night. A not-too-terrible docu-drama about the Sengoku Period in Japan. I had not seen anything about it prior to going to Netflix last pm, so it hit me as a real surprise. I couldn't find a series trailer to post but it wasn't half-bad. And it made me want to play Shogun 2 all over again.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^That popped up in my feed too, looks pretty good.

Behind Her Eyes is also very good and watchable with wives/girlfriends/pets/significant others.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I watched The Vast of Night on Amazon Prime a few days ago.  It takes place in a small town in New Mexico in the 50s.  Two high school kids, one who works at the radio station and one who runs the telephone switchboard, stumble across a weird signal and decide to investigate.  If you like shows and films about the paranormal like the Super 8, or the X-Files or The Twilight Zone, you should enjoy this one.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_vast_of_night

It's low budget but the acting is top notch and the director did a fantastic job in bringing the town to life.  The attention to detail is fantastic and some of the camerawork is amazing.  There's one long tracking shot that basically runs through the entire town.  I have no idea how they filmed that but it was pretty cool to see.

The story is a slow burn and the payoff could have been better but if you're in the mood for some old timey nostalgia mixed in with a bit of a sci-fi/horror/mystery vibe, it's a good choice. 

Pete Dero

Don't know if you can stream in the US but I'm watching this on DVD :

Our Girl (BBC series following female medics in the British Army)  -  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3815412/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Sir Slash

I finished-up, "Age of Samurai: The Battle for Japan" last night, only 6 episodes. Great little series that I enjoyed a lot. Kind of low-budget but the story was what really sold the show and it did not disappoint. Definitely NOT a, 'shamefurl dispray'.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Low budget eh? Looks slick from the trailers...maybe my standards are low.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Low budget as in very few reactors in the battle scenes and frequently the same scenes used over and over. But the story more than makes-up for it.

Gusington

Ah ok. I have been looking to watch The King on Netflix as well as The Block Island Sound.

Just finished Lupin which was fantastic and am just about to finish up Capitani which is also very good.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

If you guys haven't seen, or gave up on Breaking Bad, you are seriously missing out.  I agree with Slash wholeheartedly; TV doesn't get much better than that.  Fran, it gets much darker and more disturbing after the part where you quit watching.  I'm calling it an absolutely must-watch.  I was pretty late to the show, but once I started I was totally hooked.  Very much a "just one more episode" and "I can't take anymore!" show.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

For sure Toonces. And don't forget the BB movie they did to close-out Jesse's story line, "El Camino". Great stuff. A little less excellent was the prequel series, "Better Call Saul" which had less action but still managed to be entertaining.  :notworthy:

ArizonaTank

My wife and I just finished two seasons of "Ragnarok" on Netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9251798/

A Norwegian series about a high school kid who finds out he is the modern day "Thor" who is fated to battle the giants who run the town.

The series is quirky...the English dubbing is not that great so we listened to the original Norwegian with English subtitles. The story also gets a little slow in places. But overall we loved it. The show is pretty low budget, but in a good way. It shows how you don't need tons of CGI to tell the story of Norse gods vs. giants.

I don't think "Ragnarok" it is everyone's cup of tea....  more drama and character development than action. But we really liked it. 

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

I watched about half of, "Company of Heroes" on Netflix last night. Must be based on one of the computer/console games as it's quite implausible but entertaining never the less. A WWII romp with lots of evil Nazi's and firefights about every 3 min. What else you gonna watch on a Monday?  :coolsmiley:

Toonces

El Camino was really good, agree with you Slash.

I haven't started Better Call Saul, yet, but I do plan to watch it eventually.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs